Dark Cherry Liqueur and Bourbon Soaked Cherries

Cherries

Sweet organic Bing Cherries were on sale last week at Whole Foods.  So, I bought some.  A lot.  When presented with a lot of fruit, many people turn to jams and jellies, or bake some pies.  Not me.

Bourbon Soaked Cherries

I turn to liqueur.  Homemade liqueur that is.  I found that I had a hard time using up jars of jellies and jams – I don’t eat much toast or many peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  On the other hand, I found that I had absolutely no difficulty whatsoever using up liqueurs.  None.  They are gone in a flash.

Liqueured up cherries!

So, I googled and found:  Bourbon-Soaked Cherries at Food Woolf and Dark Cherry Liqueur at Homebrew Underground.  They sounded like just what the doctor ordered.  My cherries and various and assorted liquors are resting right now.  Getting ready to make me very happy in the near future.

Comments

Whenever I have excess fruit, it never even crosses my mind to turn it into liqueur! Oh the possibilities. Both of these cherry treats sound quite delicious.

I love the way you think! I have some boozy fruit coming up later this week.

Oh, and if this is what your doctor orders…where can I find this doctor?

Pam, I too made some brandied cherries one year. Kept some stored in our antique hoosier and gave some to a neighbor. Late one night we awoke to a loud crash/bang and discovered the cherry jars had exploded. I’m still finding cherry juice 10 years later. As for the neighbor’s jars – they blew up too in her refrigerator. She didn’t like me much after that. LOL

Amen! I need to get with the program and make some liqueur-who needs jams and jellies, this is a great idea.

Velva

You will not be disappointed. In fact, you may even become besotted with your sozzled cherries. You might even drizzle some of that cherry liquer loveliness over good vanilla icecream; or mascarpone. Try dipping the cherries into melted dark chocolate and leave to set (assuming you can wait that long).

this is where my total and complete lack of patience bites me in the bum–i’d have so much trouble waiting for these beauties to get fully snockered! :)

Trackbacks

1. […] posted about this dark cherry liqueur originally in July of 2011 – Dark Cherry Liqueur and Bourbon Soaked Cherries.  And, to tell you the truth, I had stuck it in an old Hoosier cabinet in my dining room and […]