Garden Tuesday–Rose of Sharon

Rose of Sharon

When my husband and I first moved into our house, 20 years ago, we planted a bunch of little twigs in the ground in a row, lining each side of our back yard.

Rose of Sharon

They were Rose of Sharon’s.  They were from one of those catalogues where you get 20 plants for something like five dollars.  We didn’t have high hopes and felt silly lining up our 8 inch twigs.  But we have been rewarded a hundred times.  They are gorgeous, huge, and filled with flowers.   I love their old-fashioned sweetness.

Rose of Sharon

Just for fun, I did a little “Retro” action on one.  All desaturated and pale pink.

Please join me for Garden Tuesday.

Comments

Great pictures. I have a soft spot for Rose of Sharon since we had them in our yard as kids. They were one of the first flowers I could identify. Our’s were the common pale purple variety but yours are really lovely. They say good things come to those who wait.

Pam your Rose of Sharon is beautiful! I will have to learn more about them, I can plant twigs too! Maybe just maybe we are done with the Rhubarb saga, as we have growth! Thanks for hosting.

Oh those are gorgeous! I grew up with the more common but still pretty variety. Your’s has to be a lovely sight to when they are all in bloom!

I love Rose of Sharons though they are a messy plant. When I was growing up, we had one by our back porch. I loved picking the flowers and bringing them inside. They also make a good hedge, and a good breeding spot for ladybugs.

We have a couple of Rose of Sharon around here, too. Ours are pale purple. Hubster’s not a huge fan, but I get to tell him which flowers are pretty, being the girl in the organization and all.

Gorgeous! So many gardening adventures start that way don’t they? You plant something in the ground that seems small and insignificant and then you hope for the best, and it still seems a bit miraculous when you are rewarded with something so beautiful!

That’s fantastic that your twigs blossomed into these vibrant rose bushes which are so pretty. Kind of reminds me of the Ugly Duckling story. :-)

I used to have a Rose of Sharon in my last house’s garden. It was fussy to get started but once it got going, it was a summer beauty! Sorry that I have no garden post to share today since I just returned from a week’s vacay with my Midwestern family.

Is the retro action a camera thing? or is that lovely flower really that color? I tell ya, not enough coffee to understand yet. I think I may need to find a spot for some of these .. would they do well in Oregon? do you think they could handle the water?