Chicken with Tomatoes, Olives and Cilantro

Chicken with tomatoes, olives and cilantro

Sometimes substitutions work and sometimes they don’t.  I had planned on serving Chicken with Tomatoes, Olives and Cilantro over couscous.  Of course, when I wrote this down on menu planning day, I just assumed I had couscous in the pantry.  Everyone has couscous in the pantry,right?  Wrong.

I had already started the recipe and was most of the way through it before I realized I had no couscous.  Why?  Because couscous only takes like 5 minutes, so why worry about it, until you’re practically finished!  So, being ever-so-quick on my feet, I decide on polenta.  Everyone has polenta in the pantry, right?  Wrong.

I am obviously sorely lacking in my pantry replenishing.  I ended up using grits because I didn’t have time to get some pasta cooked.  It was not the best choice.  The grits had too much grits flavor.  The chicken dish is more delicately flavored and the grits over powered it.

I found the recipe in Everyday Food: Fresh Flavor Fast: 250 Easy, Delicious Recipes for Any Time of Day (Everyday Food)- as a matter of fact it’s the cover recipe.  You can also follow the link in the first paragraph and find it on Martha’s site.

Comments

I actually think I’m out of couscous also…thanks for reminding me :P

I love the simple flavors on the chicken though! Although, I suppose that really is the crux of the problem, right?

I am so relieved to find that this happens to other people too. I always assume I have things I use a lot because I make notes when I get low. Well, not always. Your photo is lovely Pam and I never, ever turn down grits wherever they are.
    Sam

Hi There, I’m back after a few weeks off from blogging. Hope you are doing okay. I have missed all of my blogging friends –but needed that break!

Yum—that looks delicious.

Hugs,
    Betsy

Well, it certainly looks pretty.

I have two boxes of couscous but even they would not have been of much help since one is strongly flavored and the other is the red aztec variety.

I think you are right that couscous would be perfect with this dish. I’ve never had grits before so I am not sure how they would taste. The chicken does look amazing though.

Oh yum yum – and here I sit sipping on room temperature water with a sore mouth. Now my tummy is rumbling looking at your yummy photo!

xo Catherine

Oh no, we all have those days, don’t we? I ran out of rice the other and was so mad at myself. Who runs out of rice? Seriously!

The chicken looks gorgeous, such beautiful colors and flavors.

I’m sure I have couscous in my pantry – I always have couscous in the pantry, but I am having a moment of self-doubt now! The chicken looks gorgeous and I can imagine it would be perfect with couscous – shame the grits was a disappointment.
    Sue xo

you know what they say about assuming, right? :)
    frankly, i think polenta is a better choice for this (and every other dish in the world). lovely!