Cheesy Tuna Stuffed Baked Potatoes

Tuna Stuffed Baked Potatoes

This recipe actually came from Not Your Mother’s Slow Cooker Cookbook by Beth Hensperger and Julie Kaufmann.  I didn’t make the potatoes in the slow cooker though, I mean really, if there is anything that doesn’t need to be made easier with a slow cooker, it is baking a potato.  So, yes, I just baked my potato in the oven, but I did use their cheesy tuna stuffing!

This was so good, and simple, and perfect for a Friday night when your tired, and you spent a few minutes that day filling in your calendar for the countdown to summer break.  With a side salad you have a perfectly respectable dinner, with practically no effort at all.

Cheesy Tuna Stuffed Baked Potatoes (modified)

• 4 medium sized Idaho or russet potatoes, scrubbed, and pierced in a few places with a fork
  • 3/4 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • one 6-ounce can water packed tuna, drained
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 green onion, thinly sliced (I forgot this)

Either bake your potato in the slow cooker on HIGH for 3 to 5 hours or LOW for 6 to 8 hours, or just bake in the oven.  I baked them at 400 for about an hour.

Remove the potatoes and cut in half lengthwise.  Scoop out the flesh of the potatoes leaving enough to let the skins hold their shape.  Put the potato flesh in the bowl and add 1/2 cup of the cheese, the milk, the tuna, sour cream, and green onions.  Mash that all together.  Mound it back in the potatoes, and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.

Place them back in the slow cooker, in a single layer and cook on HIGH for 45 minutes or place them back in the oven and bake for about 10-15 minutes or until heated through and the cheese is melted.

Serves 4

This will be my entry for Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum!

Comments

Re dishwashers: I empty everything on the counter. Is this a girl thing do you suppose?

Love stuffed potatoes. Any kind and with anything.

I am going to have to try this one. Thanks. Seems like things would go a lot quicker without the crockpot, but I get that it did come from a crockpot recipe book

Sounds wonderful, Pam… That is a pretty healthy meal, especially if I use the 2% shredded cheese and also the fat-free sour cream…. Thanks for the recipe… I’ll try it.

Hugs,
    Betsy

I have that book but have never noticed this recipe (probably because it seemed silly to me to do baked potatoes in the crockpot). I may have to give your oven version a try!

I like Beth Hensperger’s bread machine cookbook, so I’d surely buy her slow cooker cookbook if I had one! I agree that you don’t need a crock pot for baked potatoes. They cook well enough in the oven.

Looks like a great meal to me. It just occured to me that that is why it took me so long to get a slow cooker…it was all those awful meals that used to come out of the crockpot that all tasted the same, and I didn’t enjoy them when I was a kid! So I need this cookbook! :D

i agree–why a slow cooker? a potato is something i’ve never considered baking in one of those, but to each her own. i like your idea of a unique stuffing material, if not the actual stuffing material itself. :)

These sound (and look) great!! I’ve used bacon before in twice baked potatoes, but I love the twist of tuna! I bet it’s a lot easier on the stomach, while still super tasty.