Polenta with Tomato Olive Salsa

Polenta with Tomato Olive Salsa

Remember yesterday’s salmon post, where I made the recipe that called for six salmon fillets and I only had two, so I had leftover salsa?   So, I was left with salsa and polenta.  Now I don’t know about you, but I’ve never been able to get cold polenta to stick together like everyone else seems to be able to.  Well, I think I’ve figured it out, or at least a way that works for me.

I began by changing the water/polenta ratio.  Normally I use 4 cups of water to 1 cup of polenta to give me a creamy polenta.  This time I used only 3 cups of water.  Bingo.  It was much firmer to begin with and after chilling overnight in the fridge, easily cut into polenta “fingers” like I wanted.

And my second epiphany?    The oven.  The broiler to be more precise.

polenta

I placed my lovely slices of polenta on a baking sheet, lined with foil, and placed them under the broiler.  I watched them and flipped them when they were starting to get browned around the edges.  I wasn’t looking at the clock since I was staring at my polenta experiment, but I think it was about 4 minutes per side.  (But don’t take my word for that – watch them).

So, that’s it peeps.  What to do with leftover polenta and leftover salsa.

This will be my entry for Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum!

Comments

So weird…even when I use the 4:1 ratio, my polenta starts to firm up within about 10 minutes of being taken off the heat! Do you use real polenta or cornmeal? I think cornmeal sets up quicker (and it’s what I use most of the time because I’m lazy). Either way…love this. I’m all about the polenta love.

My grandmother was from Croatia, and made polenta all the time. It was always in the form of a layer cake, never creamy and runny and we sliced it like you slice a cake too. My mom learned the “art” of making polenta too, but unfortunately for me, I have not done it. Being married to a true blue southern boy, well, they just don’t eat polenta. I miss it. But I just eat grits!!!!

Super idea to use the broiler instead of the grill and a great use of both leftovers. I’m going to try that trick PDQ.

I LOOOOOVE polenta. Your photo looks so good I good almost eat it. This is such a great idea and a great way to reheat and use leftovers. Thanks for sharing your techniques.

Divine, Pam. I LOVE polenta…use it all the time. And we went to a wonderful new Italian restaurant the other night and they served it under a rack of lamb. Perfect.

Great grits recipe! Wait…those are grits, right? ha ha

Seriously though, the polenta does look good and crispy like that.

My new ovens have broilers with variable temperature! So, suddenly, I’m making toast and toasted rolls and all kinds of whatnot under the broiler, and loving it. Polenta Fingers sounds like a dandy snack!

i would prefer this use for the salsa very much. sometimes i wonder if i’m the only anti-salmon fool still out there. :)

This looks delicious, I love polenta, and love how you paired it with this salsa! Great recipe! Thanks for sharing!