Garden Tuesday ~ Swallowtails Love Fennel

Swallotail caterpillar on fennel

Swallowtail caterpillar on fennel

Swallowtail caterpillar on fennel

swallowtail caterpillar on fennel

swallowtail caterpillar on fennel

swallowtail caterpillar on fennel

I grow the herb fennel, not the bulb.  I admit, that I don’t use it much, though it’s big stalks make great racks when roasting a chicken.  But even if I never used it at all, I would grow it, because swallowtail butterfly caterpillars love it.  At this time of  year, they appear all over it.  You can see the different stages of their growth, in the second photo there is a younger one, with the yellow in the center and then as they age, they look more uniform.  Lovely.

Speaking of summer.  Guess who goes back to school on Thursday????  I know.  Where did this summer go?  Oh wait, for some people the summer doesn’t actually end on August 2nd like it does for me!!

What’s in your garden this week?

Please join me for Garden Tuesday.

Comments

Back to school? That does make summer seem like it is over. :(

Love your little caterpillar ~ so sweet!

Wishing you a beautiful Tuesday Pam!
    xo Catherine

Oh my, Pam, your photos are extraordinary! Literally breathtaking! Perfect focusing on those precious little caterpillars! WOW!!

Good shots Pam. We grew fennel one year to eat and of course the catapillers stripped it clean, so Bev has since been growing bronze fennel in her flower garden just for them.

Beautiful photos of the fennell and swallowtail caterpillars. They are just as pretty as the butterflies. Hard to believe that summer has gone by so fast. Back to school? Goodness.

Yael from Home Garden Diggers

Beautiful photos! I love fennel. I’m caring for a friend’s garden while she’s out of town, and it makes me feel more confident I can try gardening with just a couple of herbs (again). Maybe parsley and mint, something easy. (I think I said that last time, and everything died. Hmmmm.)

I love that you’re hosting future butterflies. But I feel like you’ve been ripped off, because I am certain you were not out a month before us (June 5) and yet you are back a month before us (Sept. 5).

One of the latest places we’ve stayed, our windshield became the courting ground for several swallowtails. They were continuously commenting about how “hot” that swallowtail was in the windshield and the side mirror!
    Every day, they saw themselves, and were smitten. It was a blast to watch from inside!
    Great shots, Pam!