Pea and Shrimp Penne with Basil

Pea and Shrimp Penne with Basil

My basil is thriving.  I don’t know how I’ve managed to do it with all this crazy hot dry heat.  Oh wait.  I do know.  I’ve spent countless hours watering, and watering, and watering some more.  Well, it has paid off.  My basil looks like it’s been growing in a tropical rain forest.

Pea and Shrimp Penne with Basil

I was looking for something a little different than the usual pesto pasta dishes, and found Pea and Shrimp Penne with Basil from Fine Cooking.  This was perfect.  Quick, easy and light.  Though you may be looking at it, thinking, “my those are funny looking peas!”

Yes, I admit it.  I had no frozen peas in my freezer.  I know.  I couldn’t believe it either.  I went through the whole freezer twice, in disbelief.   What I did have was a bag of frozen edamame.  It’s almost peas, right?   I think it was a pretty good substitution.  The edamame added a bit of nutty bite to it.

This will be my entry for this week’s Presto Pasta Nights hosted by Ruth at Once Upon a Feast.

Comments

1. Anonymous says

Re pet blogging: at least you didn’t have to call the firemen! :)
    Love this easy to make pasta dish. And I’m with you…I always have edamame in my freezer!

Taking care of a garden is like taking care of a child, no? I’m so giddy in April, but come August I’m exhausted. Can’t it just water itself?!

I find that whenever I need peas they are most certainly not in my freezer. Weird how that happens. What a great pasta dish!

Looks yummy to me. I have basil growing in a pot on our deck. Some wonderful person gave my husband two perfectly ripe tomatoes so tomorrow is a great time to combine them with fresh mozzerella and a touch of balsamic.

I was away for a few days and the poor plants suffered terribly. It took a whole lot of water and a break in the heat to bring them back. ANother day and they would have been goners. I think the rainforest idea is excellent. Plants are like us when its hot… they need to drink a lot!

Great dish.. love shrimp and peas!!

i WAS thinking that your peas were…special. i love peas with pasta, but i think edamame is a fine substitute!