Hoppin John

Black-eyed peas

Like every good Southern girl, I had Hoppin John for New Years.  The black-eyed peas represent coins and the collard greens represent dollars.  A little good luck never hurt anyone, plus I adore black-eyed peas.

I am about to say something that might shock you.  As a matter of fact, you should probably sit down.

I made my Hoppin John without a lick of pork.  No bacon.  No ham hocks.  No hambone.

I know.

Hoppin John

And even though you can’t tell from this blurry, sad photo that I took, it was very good!  Seriously did not miss the pork.  I am not kidding!

As a faithful food blogger, I try to be on the continuous search for new recipes.  So, rather than my tried and true porky goodness recipe, I found one Food52 that intrigued me.   Food52 Slow Cooker Hoppin John had no pork, and yet it was delightfully flavorful.  I think it was the Old Bay Seasoning.  I’ve never used Old Bay in Hoppin John – as a matter of fact, I think I’ve only used it for shrimp boils.

This was so good, there is no reason to limit it to New Years.  Go check it out, make it, and let me know what you think!

This will be my entry for Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum!

Comments

Seriously? No pork? Okay. Recently, I’ve been talking incessantly about cooking something in the slow cooker. We are black-eyed pea people around here. This sounds great. Thanks.

I love old Bay. You’re right, I usually use it for fish. Remember blackened catfish? I can see the rich flavor of the spices would be a great substitute for the pork and so much better for you. Thanks for the great idea.

I have discovered over the past few years that I can make really delicious foods without meat, thanks to my vegetarian daughter in law. I made some greens and black-eyed peas for her one year when they visited and they were delicious. I discovered many uses for Old Bay Seasoning too from my chef son in law. Did you get any snow?

Hi Pam, We too had Hoppin’ John –but we DID have the bacon and ham (and hamhock)…. I also make mine with rice –so it’s not nearly as healthy as yours. But–it sure was GOOOOOOOOOOODDDDD. ha

Hugs,
    Betsy

It’s pretty enough, but if I tried to serve legumes of any sort, other than peanuts, my dearly beloved would probably put me out in the snow until I came to my senses. But I’m glad you found a variation on an old favorite!

gasp! how blasphemous of you! my grandfather would take me over his knee and give me a whipping if i tried to slip a pig-free hoppin’ john by him. :)