What to do with Chipotle Peppers?

chipotle peppers

I think I’ve posted this tip before, but never you mind, it bears repeating.  You know how recipes always call for one of those chipotle peppers, or for some adventuresome recipes, possibly two?  You have to buy a can of them, which holds about 10 peppers.  What do you do with the leftovers?  Here is what I do.

chipotle peppers

I take a sheet of wax paper and cut it into squares.  On each square I place one chipotle pepper and a bit of the sauce.

chipotle pepper packages

I then fold up the squares, tape them shut, place them in a ziploc bag and into the freezer they go.  When a recipe calles for a chipotle pepper, I just pull out a package.  They barely even need any defrosting, they’re ready for your recipe.

How about you, what do you do with leftover canned chipotle peppers?

Comments

I am like Amy, that is how I store the extra tomato paste. I had not thought about the chipotle peppers. Now I will go buy a can, because frankly, that is why I would not buy the whole can. Thanks Pam.

I freeze things whenever possible. I hate throwing out perfectly good food because the manufacturers make us buy bigger packages than we need.

Ha ha…yours is so neat and organized. I spoon (or try to spoon) mine into a small ziploc bag. Then when I need one I have to defrost the whole thing and try to fish one out. It never turns out well and is always a messy endeavor. I could learn a few things from your method.

I scoop them into an ice cube tray and fill any remaining space with the sauce. When frozen, I scoop them out and toss them all into a baggie. I do the same with tomato paste.

5. Angie says

I freeze them in an extra ice cube tray and then just dump the frozen cubes into a freezer bag. Easy to fish out as many as you need for a recipe.

6. Kathy says

Wow -so organized! I have found that these peppers just left in the can, tightly covered with plastic wrap secured with a rubber band, keep for a very long time – like weeks/months. So we do tend to use them up – the cans are small.

I like your idea very much, but I just got a new dehydrator, and I think I’ll try dehydrating small measured amounts, powder them and just re-hydrate a spoonful or two when I need it. I am going to do that with tomatoes, too, so I can make small amounts of tomato paste or puree at a time. I just did a big batch of jalapenos and made them into flakes because we can’t ever eat a whole large one! I dry then vaccum seal.

Nah. I’ve learned that if you try to store them in the fridge, they’ll start to eat through the can. It’s the acid (vinegar) in the adobo sauce.

Instead, I transfer everything into a 1/2 pint canning jar — with a plastic lid. They keep for months.

I do sort of the same thing with fresh ginger. I scub it clean, cut it into chunks, drop then into a wide mouth jar and cover with sherry. Plastic lid here too. The ginger will store nicely for up to 6 mos. and you’ve got ginger infused sherry for sauces, vinaigrettes, etc.