Inherited Treasures

Vintage stoneware bowl

If you are a Facebook friend, you probably already know that my father-in-law passed away recently.  A couple of weeks ago, my husband went back to his father’s house with his sister to pack up and divide up the contents of the house.  Every so often I would get a text from Tim asking me if I was interested in this or that.  He never really asked me anything about kitchen items, pretty much using his own judgment as to what he thought I would like.

He did good.

See that lovely vintage mustard yellow stoneware bowl above?  Mine now.  I love it.  Tim remembers his mom mixing up potato salad in that bowl.  Unfortunately Tim’s mother died before I met him, so I never knew her.  But I have her sewing machine and now I have this gorgeous bowl.

Vintage stoneware bowl

And this lovely green bowl?  It’s for banana pudding.

vintage glass covered refrigerator dish

And this glass covered refrigerator dish?  Total love.  He knows me well.  And there’s more, I just didn’t want to overwhelm you with too much goodness in one day.

And over at my 365 photo blog, where this year I am doing a photo a day with my iPhone based on a #projectlife365 prompt, the photo prompt was blue.

Blue ball jars with daisies

I added a little more blue to my collection.

Comments

I’m so sorry about your father-in-law. But how nice that your husband brought back so many of these goodies for you…so you can both remember him through food!

Love those dishes. You’ll enjoy them that much more than had you bought them from a store. I have my Nan’s homemade apron and it’s so special every time I wear it.

I’m sorry for the loss of Tim’s father, but it’s nice that you have some reminders of both of Tim’s parents. Now enjoy making that banana pudding, and the potato salad! Both are perfect for spring and summer meals, which are coming!

I’m sorry to hear about your father in law.

I think it is so nice to have those treasured family items. These pieces you’ve shared have so much character! Better get to work on filling up that banana pudding dish!

Sorry for the loss of your father-in-law. You husband probably enjoys seeing you use some of the things his mother used. Those useful everyday objects are often our greatest reminders of our loved ones. I have a bowl like the one in the first picture. It belonged to my mother-in-law.

I love old bowls, especially when they have a story. Lucky you. Like Esme says “priceless.”
    I love the glass covered refrigerator dish! Looks like a butter dish.

how lovely. beautiful memories. I have my mother-in-law’s blue stoneware bowl she used to rise her bread in. I keep onions there now.

I’m so sorry about your father-in-law! How sweet of your hubby to bring you home things he thought you would like. Those are some classic pieces!
    xo Catherine