Garden Tuesday ~ Butterflies, hosta, and Russian sage

Sidewalk Shoes Butterfly on Pink Phlox

I am so amazed that I got this shot!  This was one of those butterflies that flitters it’s wings constantly as it feeds.  I set my shutter speed really fast, in the hopes of catching it, and this was the only shot that came out fairly acceptable.  it’s not crisp and clean, but if you could have seen him flittering away, you would understand!

Sidewalk Shoes Hosta Blossoms

Sidewalk Shoes Hosta Blossoms

My yard is filled with the tall white spires of hosta blossoms.  Even though hosta is mainly grown for it’s gorgeous leaves, don’t underestimate the beauty of it’s delicate tall stalks of flowers.

Sidewalk Shoes Russian Sage against Black-eyed Susans

I think the Russian Sage looks so pretty against the backdrop of black-eyed susans – don’t you?

How about you, what’s in your garden this week?

Please join me for Garden Tuesday.

Comments

My hostas are looking pretty much like yours right now. My stella de oro daylilies are throwing out a few final blooms for the year and the Sedum Autumn Joy is gearing up for fall. My Knockout Shrub roses are still bursting with color, thanks to a mid-summer deadheading. We’ll hit 100 today and I’m counting the days until fall.

I love the late summer purples and yellows combination. Great capture of the butterflies. I think that the folks who get such wonderful shots of moths and butterflies must have beautiful and dear lenses. I hope you are enjoying the last of summer. Have you gone back to school yet?

The buttrefly does look crisp! on my screen it does..
    I love ussian sage in the garden and yes it goes well with golds and yellows..even white phlox..
    I always cut down the blooms of most of my hostas..except these later blooming ones..

Oh beat me with a wet noodle, I missed Garden Tuesday again!

Great shots Pam. I totally understand trying to get a shot of that butterfly. I haven’t been able to do it yet! I don’t have any Hostas but I love the look of the Russian Sage with the Susans. My Russian Sage ran a little rampant this year.

I’m thrilled to still have so many lovelies still blooming; poppies, cardinal flowers, roses oh my, I must share:)

For the first time this year, I planted milkweed for the Monarchs. It is beginning to flower and I should have many lovely seeds and let it naturalize. Thanks for the lovely butterfly snap.

Your photos are beautiful, Pam. The Monarch is swoon worthy, so crisp and colorful. I’m still planting (and watering) crazily, zeroing in on the sale racks at Lowes, trying to add to the existing garden. We’ve got Russian Sage, Black-eyed Susans, yarrow, butterfly bushes, cones, phlox–and a cucumber blossom in Will’s garden. Thanks for visiting and leaving ideas about my kitchen. If those corbels were cone flowers, they would be transplanted in a heartbeat! Gardening has been a relief from the wedding cake carpentry.
    Have a great week!