Roasted Brussels Sprout and Pear Salad

Roasted Brussel's Sprouts and Pear Salad!

Sidewalk Shoes Roasted Brussels Sprout and Pear Salad

Look at me back for a second week of Donna Hay cooking for I Heart Cooking Clubs!!  Finally a cooking theme that I will most likely stick with.  Now, the only issue is that I will probably not follow the rules.  This will come as a surprise to no one actually.  This week’s theme is Pantry Magic – and the only things in this recipe that comes from the pantry are the dressing ingredients.  This is especially wrong, since one of my favorite cookbooks of hers, Off The Shelf: Cooking From the Pantry is, as you can tell from the title, filled with fabulous pantry using recipes.

Sidewalk Shoes Roasted Brussels Sprout and Pear Salad

But whatever, following the themes is just more organized than I can be at the moment!  Especially since I have to be inspired by whatever I receive in my CSA that week.  This week?  Brussels Sprouts.  Not my favorite, but not bad – especially roasted.  So, when faced with a bag of Brussels sprouts and pears on sale at the market, who was I to quibble about it being pantry week?

Sidewalk Shoes Roasted Brussels Sprout and Pear Salad

And yes, I probably should have taken a photo after I roasted this pan of fall goodness, but I was hungry.  This was wonderful.  It was everything I hoped it would be – and oh-so-easy.  I subbed spinach for arugula and regular goat cheese for firm because I didn’t read the recipe carefully!

I found this recipe in her iTunes cookbook:  Fresh and Light.  Which is wonderful!

Roasted Brussels Sprout and Pear Salad

• 500g Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
  • 2 firm brown pears, cut into thick wedges
  • 1 red onion, peeled and cut into wedges
  • 8 sprigs sage
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • salt and pepper to season
  • 150g rocket (arugula) leaves  (I used spinach)
  • 150g firm goats cheese, grated (I used soft)

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the Brussels sprouts cut side up, pears, onions and sage on the sheet.  Mix together the oil, vinegar, and brown sugar and drizzle half of it over (I then tossed them).  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Roast for 30-35 minutes.

Divide the arugula and roasted vegetables between the serving plates, sprinkle with the goats cheese, and the remaining dressing.

Serves 4

This will be my entry for I Heart Cooking Clubs!

Foodie Friday

This will be my entry for Foodie Friday at the every so lovely Rattlebridge Farm.

Comments

That is so true. This week when I shot my lamb, I was so bummed that I was watching it cool. I really just wanted to eat them up when they were hot and crisp.
    Sometimes you just need to eat great dishes. This is certainly one of them… LOve the pears and sprouts. Great combination…. I couldn’t wait either.

Spinach, arugula…same thing. Both green leaves. Have you ever tried par-boiling the brussels sprouts, then stir frying in olive oil with garlic? Pretty good; Dan says they’re only beaten by corn and broccoli when cooked that way. Pretty high praise from a 20-some dude, wouldn’t you say? Your roasting looks great, too, but I wouldn’t be following the rules, either.

I can totally dig the combination of pears and brussels sprouts….Nice fall flavor combination.

Velva

P.S. Breaking the rules can be a good thing.

I’m definitely bookmarking this one. I love roasted brussels sprouts, but never would have thought of teaming them up with pears. Love the goat cheese addition, and I’m thinking a bit of crumbled bacon would be good with this too.

PS Rules are made to be broken. Thrilled to have you cooking along, and if you choose to create a little magic from your CSA box instead of the pantry, no one’s going to call you on it :-)

I think a sign like brussels sprouts arriving through your CSA and pears on sale is much more important to follow than the “rules.” Have never seen a salad like this!

There have to be people who don’t follow the rules to make life interesting, right? I should do that more often. lol This recipe looks really really fabulous, all those flavors together has me jotting it all down so I can have a go at it as it is the perfect time of year to get great sprouts, onions, pears, etc. Thanks for not following the rules at just the right time! :-)

Pam – You are such a rebel and I totally love it! Pears and brussels sound wonderful together. Such a good fall dish.

Not to blow your crazy rule-breaking image for this dish but I count the fridge and freezer and CSA box as pantry! ;-) (Could be because of the humidity and bugs much of my non-can “pantry” items end up in the freezer for longer storage.)

This looks fabulous and perfect for fall. Bring on the soft goat cheese!
    ;-)

Trackbacks

1. […] and Salads:  Summer Rolls (6 variations – from Chicken and Mint to Beef and Radish), Roasted Brussels Sprout and Pear Salad (which I’ve made and it was fantastic), 6 Bruschetta recipes from Roasted Garlic and Asparagus to […]