Harissa Fried Fish with Warm Coriander Potatoes

Sidewalk Shoes Harissa Fried Fish with Warm Coriander Potatoes

Donna Hay has done it again.  This is an unbelievably easy recipe that tastes fantastic.  You can easily have dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes – and it is all easy prep work.  I found this recipe in New Food Fastby Donna Hay.  Which brings up another thing I love about Donna Hay – her recipes are timeless.  This book was written in 2003 and here I am 10 years later still amazed at her fresh simple approach to food.

Sidewalk Shoes Harissa Fried Fish with Warm Coriander Potatoes

The only changes I made to the recipe was that I didn’t have any mint, and I used Greek yogurt instead of regular yogurt.  The Greek yogurt didn’t get all creamy and coat the potatoes, but it didn’t matter.  It stayed in little clumps that were almost cheese like.  This maybe one of my new favorite potato salads – so easy and good for you with yogurt instead of mayo.

The fish was wonderful and may also become an easy go to fish recipe.  The Mina Harissa – Red Pepper Sauce added just the right amount of flavor – and look at that beautiful color!

Harissa Fried Fish with Warm Coriander Potatoes

• 4 150 g (5oz) fillets or pieces white fish, such as blue-eye cod or swordfish
  • 3 T Harissa
  • 1 T Oil
  • Warm coriander potatoes:
  • 500 g (1 lb) boiling potatoes
  • 2 clv garlic, crushed
  • 1⁄2 c thick plain yogurt
  • 2 T Chopped Mint
  • 2 T chopped coriander (cilantro)
  • Cracked black pepper
  • sea salt

To make the warm coriander potatoes, halve potatoes, place them in a saucepan of boiling water and cook for 15 minutes or until soft.  Drain and allow to cool slightly.

While potatoes are cooking, spread the fish with the harissa. Heat the oil in a nonstick frying pan (I used cast iron) over medium-high heat.  Cook the fish for 2-3 minutes or to your liking.

Combine the garlic, yogurt, mint, cilantro and pepper and salt and toss through the potatoes.  Place on a serving dish and top with the fish.

Makes 4 servings.

This will be my entry for I Heart Cooking Clubs – Donna Hay!

Comments

This IS the epitome of fast and easy … no stinting on the flavour though! Great choice for this week’s potluck!

PS. I’m new to harissa too … I think it was Yotam O that got me started with this spicy sauce/paste.

This looks really delicious! I love harissa paste and I can just imagine how tasty the fish is! And potato salad is one of our favourites in my house. Using Greek yoghurt with cheese-like bits coating the potatoes sounds good to me. Wonderful potluck choice!

The combination of harissa and fish sounds delicious but I love the use of yogurt as an alternative to mayonnaise. Looks like a fabulous meal.

Hi Pam, I always love reading your recipes and thoughts as to how to make food/recipes healthier… I have some blog friends who post all kinds of fattening stuff… I know that that cannot be good for us–any of us!!!! SO–I always enjoy reading yours… Thanks!!!

Merry Christmas.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

We made harissa when we cooked with Yotam Ottolenghi and I was absolutely crazy about it. I know I would love this.

The more Donna Hay recipes I see, the more I want one of her books. I can’t believe I don;t have any. On the list now!

I too love everything about this dish, Pam. The ease, the simplicity, the spicy deliciousness, oh my!

Very simple to cook once you have the Harissa. I also discovered this wonderful combination of spices very recently. To let you in on a secret, my potluck recipe also has to do with harissa :-).

I like the sound of thid better for you potato salad. The yogurt and mint make it much lighter and refreshing. I also like the idea of serving fish with it…a nice change from frief fish with potato salad.

Living in Florida we have access to fish pretty easily. We love having it, especially in warm weather but it’s about time to eat lighter again. Another Donna recipe hat’s a winner. Nice choice!

Donna has some of the best fish recipes. I have been meaning to try her harissa fried fish but somehow missed this one. I love the pairing with the potato salad–yum!