Whenever I make pizza dough, I always make enough for 3 pizzas. I use one batch and store the other two batches in the freezer. It’s genius. Pizza any time I want it. The only tricky part is remembering the night before to take the dough of the freezer and put it in the fridge. Otherwise you are good to go.
So, while doing a huge deep clean of my freezer, not really cleaning it, just frantically looking for the bag of peas that I though for sure was in there, I found some pizza dough. So, I got on Eat Your Books, and searched for pizza. When I saw Arugula Pesto, Ricotta and Smoked Mozzarella pizza from Weeknights with Giada: Quick and Simple Recipes to Revamp Dinner I knew I had a winner.
This was so good. I love the way you make this wonderful cheesy pesto, and then spread it over the pizza. You can see in the instructions that you are supposed to slice some tomatoes, all I had was cherry tomatoes. Looks a little odd, but it still tasted good!
- Cornmeal for dusting
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded smoked mozzarella cheese
- 1 packed cup (1 ounce) arugula
- Flour for dusting
- 1 (1-pound) ball store-bought pizza dough
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 plum tomatoes sliced into ¼-inch thick slices
- Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F. Sprinkle a heavy baking sheet (without sides) with cornmeal. Set aside.
- In a food processor, blend the ricotta, garlic, salt, and pepper until smooth. Add the smoked mozzarella and arugula. Pulse until just combined but still chunky.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough into a 14-inch diameter circle, 1/4 to 1/8 inch thick. Transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.Spread the ricotta mixture on top leaving a 1-inch border. Arrange the tomato slices on top. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 15 to 16 minutes until the crust is golden. Cut into wedges and serve.
- Serves 4 to 6
This will be my entry for Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum!