First of all, if you are looking for Garden Tuesday, it’s here (I posted it yesterday so I could share these blondies today). Okay, now back to today’s post. In trying to overcome my baking fears, I joined the fine participants of the Creative Cookie Exchange. If you are wondering how I chose them, it was all their boozy cookies that they posted last month!! That would have of course been right up my alley. This months challenge was white chocolate. When I found a recipe for Cookies and Cream Blondies from Donna Hay, I knew I found my first endeavor!
If you’re looking at that first photo and thinking, “Wow, Pam, that’s some creative blondie cutting you have going on there, most normal people cut them in squares.” Well, did you know that if you pick up a tray of barely cooled blondies by the edges of the parchment paper and walk them all over the house looking for the best light, that they will basically fall into each other, cracking into an interesting jigsaw puzzle blondie? Moral of the story is to always have them supported with some sort of pan underneath. Though, I actually liked them like this, no squared portion control, we were free to take big chunks of blondies!
Speaking of portion control – good luck. As Mr. Sidewalk Shoes said, “These are addictive.” They are so insanely good. The cream cheese and the chunks of oreo cookies create an oozy while simultaneously crunchy center and the white chocolate laced blondie portion is the perfect sugary sandwich for it! Seriously these were amazing! I found them in the Oct/Nov 2011 issue from Donna Hay. If you would like to get her current magazines on your iPad, I huge recommend her donna hay magazine iPad app!
- 7 ounces of softened butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 2/3 cups plain all-purpose flour sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder, sifted
- 7 ounces white chocolate, melted
- 4.5 ounces softened cream cheese
- 5 1/2 ounces Oreo Cookies, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Beat the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixture until pale and creamy. Gradually add the eggs, beating well after each addition, then add the vanilla. Add the flour, baking powder and chocolate and beat until combined.
- Spoon half the mixture into a lightly greased 12x8 baking pan lined with non-stick baking paper. Top with spoonfuls of cream cheese (I just sort of tore off bites of it). Sprinkle with the oreo cookies. Top with the rest of the dough and spread it to cover the cookies and cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until it is cooked though when tested with a skewer. Allow to cool in the tin before slicing.
The theme this month is White Chocolate! White chocolate is seriously underrated as a baking ingredient–it complements so many other flavors so nicely, like citrus, spices, berries, winter squash, etc. So if you want to see all the ways white chocolate can be used to make terrific cookies, you have come to the right place! If you are a blogger and want to join in the fun, contact Laura at thespicedlife AT gmail DOT com and she will get you added to our Facebook group, where we discuss our cookies and share links.
You can also just use us as a great resource for cookie recipes–be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month! Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made:
- Black Bottomed Banana & White Choc Chunk Blondies from Baking in Pyjamas
- Cashew and White Chocolate Chips Cookies from SimplyVeggies
- Citrus Olive Oil Biscotti with White Chocolate Chunks from The Spiced Life
- Cookies and Cream Blondies from Sidewalk Shoes
- Double Chocolate Brownie Cookies from Magnolia Days
- Japanese Yuzu Citrus Biscotti from NinjaBaker
- Key Lime White Chocolate Chip Cookies from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Liquid Cocaine (Espresso-White Chocolate) Cookies from Food Lust People Love
- Matcha and White Chocolate Cookies from Spiceroots
- Oatmeal Cookies with White Chocolate Chips and Toffee Bits from A Bakerís House
- Vanilla, Currant, and White Chocolate Cookies from Karenís Kitchen Stories
- White Chocolate Lemon and Oats Cookies from Bakingyummies
- White Chocolate Oreo Cheesecake Cookies from Made With Love
- White Chocolate Snickerdoodles from Our Good Life
- White Chocolate Pumpkin Bars from Upstate Ramblings