Think you can’t have salads in the winter? Think again! This Shrimp, Avocado, and Grapefruit Salad is the perfect winter salad! Post may contain affiliate links.
I have ACS. Do you have it? You might and might not even know it. Do you have an Anthropologie near you? Do you like to cook? Do you like pretty cookbooks? Then chances are good you have ACS. ACS – Anthropologie Cookbook Syndrome. The symptoms are this: you head into Anthropologie, ignoring the adorable clothes, the must-have kitchen ware, and head for the tables. The tables, where intermixed amongst the adorable egg timers and cute measuring cups you find cookbooks. Cookbooks you didn’t even know you wanted. Cookbooks that sweep you away with their beautiful photos, either bright and cheery and dark and moody, urban or rustic. You just have to have it.
You bring it home, admire it’s Anthropologie-esque loveliness and then put it away in your cookbook shelf. There it languishes amongst the hard working cookbooks, the ones with splatter and spots and notes scribbled in the margins. Until one day, you take it out, thinking, “Hmmm, I didn’t know I had this.” Such was the case with Miss Dahl’s Voluptuous Delights: Recipes for Every Season, Mood, and Appetite. I fell in love with it’s cute pink and blue cover, but never gave the inside much of a gander. On a second glance, I see that I was missing a lot of good eating! The first thing I found was this Shrimp, Avocado and Grapefruit Salad. It was easy and perfect. The richness of the shrimp and avocado complementing the sweet tart of the grapefruit, followed with the crunch of the pecans. It was supposed to be serviced with watercress, but I just used a baby lettuce mix.
- 2 cups cooked shelled shrimp
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and segmented
- 1 bunch of watercress (or baby lettuce mix)
- 1/2 cup of toasted pecans
- juice of 3 limes
- A big handful of cilantro, finely chopped
- a small handful of fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 green chile, deseeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon of sugar or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon of fish sauce
- Arrange the shrimp, avocado, grapefruit, and lettuce on a plate.
- Place the dressing ingredients in a blender and process for just a minute or two.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and top with the pecans.
- Serves 2
I’m linking up with:
Full Plate Thursday @ Miz Helen’s Country Cottage
Foodie Friday @ Rattlebridge Farms