Crispy, tangy, sweet and buttery this apple salad has it all!
Buttery avocado, crisp and tangy apples, juicy cucumbers, fresh mint, and tangy feta combine to make an amazing salad!
This is going to become your favorite salad!
I have sat here for 5 minutes trying to thing of words strong enough to make you make this salad.
What about “awesome” or “amazing” or “possibly the best salad I’ve ever made?”
Do those work for you? Because this was the perfect salad.
While you can easily make it year round, it is the perfect transition from summer to fall season! The cucumbers saying goodbye to summer and the apples saying hello to fall!
I found this perfect salad in Fresh Every Day: More Great Recipes from Foster's Marketa cookbook which Amazon tells me I purchased in 2008. A cookbook that I still turn to, while some of my newer ones languish on the shelves.
Everything about this salad works. The tartness of the lime juice, the crisp apples, the smooth creamy avocado, the mild flavor and soft crunch of the cucumbers, the bright mint, and the tangy feta.
The salad called for watercress, which I’m sure would have added even another element – a bit of a peppery bite, but I couldn’t find any, so I subbed some spring greens.
I served this along side a grilled spatchcocked chicken and it was perfect. It was even better the next day, which is something you can’t say for a lot of salads.
More apple recipes:
**As an Amazon affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Apple and Avocado Salad with Fresh Mint and Lime
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon mint leaves chopped
- 1 apple such as Granny Smith or Pippin -- peeled, cored and sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted and sliced ½ inch thick
- 1 cucumber peeled, halved and sliced ¼ inch thick
- 4 cups watercress washed and trimmed of tough stems
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 ounces feta thinly sliced
- Stir the lime zest and juice and vinegar together in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until incorporated. Stir in the mint. Arrange the salad on a platter or individual plates, top with the feta slices and serve immediately.
- In a medium bowl, combine the apple, avocado, cucumber and watercress. Drizzle with the vinaigrette, season with salt and pepper, and toss gently.
- Arrange the salad on a platter or individual plates, top with the feta slices and serve immediately.
This was originally published in 2013 and has been updated for 2020.