These easy whole grain Apple Streusel Muffins with Maple Glaze will become a family favorite!
The crumb topping is so delicious. Makes a great after school snack!
Why yes, I did just post muffins last week! Did you see my Cranberry Pumpkin Muffins?
But now I've decided I like making muffins. They are easy to make and easy to make healthy!
- First you mix the streusel ingredients in a small bowl.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Combine the wet ingredients and the sugar in a small bowl or a batter bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Line a muffin tin with paper cup liners and fill with batter.
- Top with streusel mixture.
- When cooled, glaze with maple glaze.
These whole grain muffins stay so moist from the diced apple!
There is just enough crumb or streusel on top to give it a little added sweetness and crunch and the maple glaze adds a little extra maple flavor.
Variations - you could add some raisins or dried cranberries.
More Muffin Recipes:
Pumpkin Muffins with Oats and Chocolate Chips - pumpkin and chocolate are amazing together!
Apple Muffins with Oats - so delicious and so easy! They make a great after school snack or a grab and go breakfast.
Muffins with Boozy Cranberries - muffins for grown ups!
Cranberry Rosemary Muffins - everyone loves these delicious muffins!
**As an Amazon affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Apple Streusel Muffins with Maple Glaze
- 5 ounces spelt flour about 1 cup
- 2.5 ounces white whole wheat pastry flour about ½ cup
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon ground
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup low fat buttermilk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 Granny Smith Apple diced
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Combine streusel ingredients in a small bowl.
- Weigh the flours or spoon into a measuring cup and level with a knife. Combine the flours, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- In a batter bowl, combine the buttermilk, ½ cup brown sugar, oil, 1 tablespoon melted butter and egg.
- Pour wet ingredients into bowl with flour mixture and stir just until combined. Fold in diced apple.
- Place cup cake liners in muffin tin and spoon batter evenly into the twelve cups. Top evenly with streusel. Bake at 400 for 16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven. Cool in pan for 5 minutes and then remove from pan and cool completely.
- Mix maple glaze ingredients in small bowl. Drizzle over muffins.