These easy whole grain Apple Streusel Muffins with Maple Glaze will become a family favorite! The crumb topping is so delicious. Makes a great after school snack!
Easy Healthy Muffins
Why yes, I did just post muffins last week! Did you see my Cranberry Pumpkin Muffins? I’ve made more muffins this month than I made all of last year. Before this, I was all about biscotti, like this Pumpkin Pie Biscotti or this Almond Lavender Biscotti.
But now I’ve decided I like making muffins. They are easy to make and easy to make healthy!
How to Make Apple Muffins
- First you mix the streusel ingredients in a small bowl.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Combine the wet ingredients and the sugar in a small bowl or a batter bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Line a muffin tin with paper cup liners and fill with batter.
- Top with streusel mixture.
- When cooled, glaze with maple glaze.
Delicious Apple Muffins
These whole grain muffins stay so moist from the diced apple! There is just enough crumb or streusel on top to give it a little added sweetness and crunch and the maple glaze adds a little extra maple flavor.
Variations – you could add some raisins or dried cranberries.
More Muffin Recipes:
Pumpkin Muffins with Oats and Chocolate Chips – pumpkin and chocolate are amazing together!
Apple Muffins with Oats – so delicious and so easy! They make a great after school snack or a grab and go breakfast.
Muffins with Boozy Cranberries – muffins for grown ups!
Cranberry Rosemary Muffins – everyone loves these delicious muffins!
If you’re looking for even more muffin recipes, be sure and follow my Muffin Recipe Board on Pinterest!
Apple Streusel Muffins with Maple Glaze
- 2 tablespoons old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons spelt flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 ounces spelt flour about 1 cup
- 2.5 ounces white whole wheat pastry flour about 1/2 cup
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon ground
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 Granny Smith Apple diced
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Combine streusel ingredients in a small bowl.
- Weigh the flours or spoon into a measuring cup and level with a knife. Combine the flours, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- In a batter bowl, combine the buttermilk, 1/2 cup brown sugar, oil, 1 tablespoon melted butter and egg.
- Pour wet ingredients into bowl with flour mixture and stir just until combined. Fold in diced apple.
- Place cup cake liners in muffin tin and spoon batter evenly into the twelve cups. Top evenly with streusel. Bake at 400 for 16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven. Cool in pan for 5 minutes and then remove from pan and cool completely.
- Mix maple glaze ingredients in small bowl. Drizzle over muffins.