We eat a lot of Asian food around here. We especially like anything sweet and spicy.
While I love hot and spicy foods served with noodles, sometimes I want the served with something a little lighter. A little cooler.
This Asian Coleslaw is perfect. It’s cool and crunchy, with the perfect amount of sweet and tart. The perfect balance. It’s my go to Asian side dish recipe and I bet it will become yours too!
- Rice Wine Vinegar – is a great vinegar to have on hand in your pantry. It has a much more subtle vinegar flavor. Yes to buying organic because rice can be a GMO crop.
- Cilantro – cilantro, like most tender leafy herbs should be bought organic if possible.
- Red Pepper Flakes – these are optional if you don’t want any heat in your slaw.
- Green Onions – these are not on the list of foods you should buy organic, however they usually aren’t that much more expensive, so I try to find organic.
- Sugar – I buy organic cane sugar because it is less processed.
- Ginger – I buy organic, but I found this article on Growing Ginger at Home and I think I’m going to give it a try. We go through a lot of ginger in our house!
- Cabbage – no need to buy cabbage organic!
Thinly slice the cabbage and add it to a large bowl. Sometimes I use a food processor for this, but honestly it’s so easy to just thinly slice it. I like my slaw sliced, as opposed to grated – so if you like your’s grated, a food processor will come in handy.
Thinly slice the green onions and add them to the bowl.
Finely chop the cilantro and add it to the bowl.
Grate the ginger. Tip for Grating Ginger – store ginger in the freezer, it is so easy to grate, no need to thaw!
In a small bowl make the dressing by combining the rice wine vinegar, sugar, grated ginger and red pepper flakes. Whisk to dissolve the sugar.
Pour over the slaw and toss to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
This Asian slaw is so good! Crisp with light, bright flavors. The dressing is so light with bright ginger flavor. This is the perfect accompaniment to hot and spicy dishes. With no mayo it’s also great for picnics or potlucks.
What to serve with this slaw:
- Honey Sriracha Pork Chops
- Sticky Lime and Ginger Chicken
- Sticky Sesame and Ginger Pork Meatballs
- Sticky Thai Chicken (coming soon!)
- 4 cups cabbage shredded
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tbsp ginger finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- Add the cabbage, cilantro, and onions to a bowl.
- Whisk together the vinegar, sugar, ginger and red pepper flakes, until the sugar dissolves.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss to combine.
- Taste and add salt and pepper if desired.