Filled with red bell peppers, sausage and melty gooey cheese this Easy Baked Sausage Frittata is perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Serve it with a green salad and you have a delicious meal!
Why I Love Frittatas!
I make no secret of my love for frittatas. They are probably the one easy dinner recipe that I make more than any other.
They are so easy. They are perfect for cleaning out the refrigerator. Just mix some eggs, some cheese and leftover vegetables and you have dinner. Serve with a green salad and you are good to go.
Sometimes though, I like to start with recipe. I found this cheesy frittata recipe back in 2014 in Giada’s At Home cookbook. It’s been a favorite ever since. I’ve modified it a bit through the years.
It’s really easy to modify and come up all sorts of tasty variations.
Ingredients to Make this Egg Frittata
- Red Bell Pepper – can substitute green.
- Provolone Cheese – sometimes I substitute mozzarella because I have an easy time finding it. You can use whatever cheese you’d like really!
- Parsley – fresh either flat leaf or curled.
- Milk – I use whole milk, you can use low fat if you’d like.
- Salt and pepper.
- Eggs – I try to find eggs from happy free roaming chickens. Sometimes I get them from our neighbors that raise chickens – those are the best!
- Italian Sausage – either turkey or pork Italian sausage will work here. Chorizo is good too! If you want it to have more of a breakfast feel, use a breakfast pork sausage.
- Olive Oil.
How to Make a Sausage Frittata
Begin by preheating the oven to 350. While the oven is preheating, finely dice the onion and red bell pepper.
Put a skillet (cast iron is my favorite) over medium high heat and add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions and saute until getting translucent – about 3 minutes.
Add the sausage to the skillet and brown it, using a wooden spoon to break it into chunks.
While the sausage is browning, whisk the eggs, milk and salt and pepper.
Add the red bell pepper and the parsley to the eggs.
Pour the egg mixture over the sausage. Turn the heat down to medium low and let it cook for a couple of minutes or until the eggs are slightly set around the edges.
Sprinkle the cheese on the top and place the frittata in the oven.
Let it bake for 20-30 minutes or until it’s golden and puffy.
Just look at how good that Baked Provolone and Sausage Frittata looks!! Believe me, it tastes as good as it looks.
Rich and cheesy. Such scrumptiousness in every bite – cheese, sausage, eggs, and bell peppers. Cheese frittatas for the win every time!
More Frittata Recipes
If you’d like your frittata vegetarian, you need to try this Baby Spinach and Sweet Potato Frittata.
Another meatless frittata, this Swiss Chard Frittata has two kinds of cheese.
You can even make an Instant Pot Frittata!
This Chorizo and Potato Frittata is my husband’s favorite!
Baked Provolone and Sausage Frittata
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1/2 pound mild turkey sausage casings removed (I used hot pork sausage)
- 8 large eggs
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 red bell pepper cored, seeded and diced
- 3 cups provolone cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet and over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent about 3 minutes. Add the sausage and cook until browned about 5 minutes.
- While the sausage is browning, whisk together the eggs, milk and salt. Stir the red bell pepper and the 1/4 cup of parsley into the sausage mixture. Pour the egg mixture over the top. Turn the heat down to medium-low and let it cook for about 2 minutes without stirring to let the eggs set some.
- Top with the cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes or until puffed and golden and set in the center.
- Cut into wedges (4-6) – we are definitely a four wedge family!
This post was originally published in 2014 and has been updated for 2019.