Instant Pot Mushroom and Barley Risotto - this Instant Pot Risotto is so easy and so delicious!
If you haven't tried a barley risotto, you are in for a treat! It's pure comfort food! Barley, mushrooms, leeks, sherry, chicken broth, Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.
Did you know that you can make risotto in the pressure cooker or in my case in the Instant Pot! We loved the Instant Pot Shrimp Risotto that I made so when I saw this barley risotto, I was intrigued. Barley risotto! To be more specific, barley risotto in the pressure cooker. Oh my goodness.
I've been trying to add more whole grain recipes to my weekly cooking, and decided that I really had to have Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way by Lorna Sass (link in recipe card.) She is already the queen of pressure cookers, so I'm not surprised that she has included several pressure cooker recipes for whole grains.
Making this risotto is so easy and as a plus, most of the ingredients are pantry ingredients.
Dried mushrooms - I used porcini.
Leeks - you can also use regular white onions if you can't find leeks.
Sherry - or red wine or just more chicken broth.
Parmesan cheese - grate it fresh!
Making this risotto is so easy! First you rehydrate the dried mushrooms in some boiling water.
Gather your ingredients and chop your leeks. Saute the leeks and fennel seeds in olive oil.
Stir in the barley and then add the sherry, cook until it evaporates. Add the stock, mushrooms and soaking liquid. Pressure cook as directed on recipe card.
When the risotto is finished, give it a stir and cook for about 5 more minutes to let it finish thickening up. Stir in fresh parsley and Parmesan cheese. Serve in bowls and garnish with extra cheese.
This was wonderful! It was warm and comforting and filling and best of all ready in under and hour!
I am not a vegetarian and unlike a lot of vegetarian recipes, this did not leave me feeling like I was missing something. Serve this with a salad and you have a very easy weeknight meal!
More Risotto Recipes:
**As an Amazon affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Instant Pot Mushroom Barley Risotto
- ½ cup dried porcini mushrooms or other dried mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups leeks white and light green parts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
- 1 cup pearl barley
- ⅓ cup dry sherry or red wine
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese grated (plus more for garnish)
- 3 tablespoons flat leaf parsley minced
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Place the mushrooms in a glass bowl and pour 2 cups of boiling water over them. Cover and let soak.
- In a 4-quart or larger pressure cooker, heat the oil - in the Instant Pot - press saute. Add the leeks and the fennel seeds and cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until leeks are softened, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the barley, stirring it to coat it with the oil.
- Add the sherry and cook until it evaporates.
- Stir in the broth. Add the soaked mushrooms with their soaking liquid, taking care to not pour in any grit that may have settled in the bottom of the bowl.
- Lock the pressure cooker lid in place and turn valve to sealing. Set to high pressure for 18 minutes.
- When timer beeps, let pressure reduce naturally for 10 minutes. The turn the sealing vent to allow the rest of the pressure to release. When pressure has returned to normal (valve has dropped) remove the lid.
- Stir the risotto and either set it back to saute or leave on the warm feature. Cook for about 5 minutes or until it thickens and the barley is done to your liking.
- Stir in the parsley and Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve with extra Parmesan cheese.
Update Notes: This was originally published in 2008 and has been updated for 2021.