Did you know that you are supposed to harvest your basil regularly? If you are one of those that just goes out and takes a snip every now and then, you are doing it all wrong.
First of all you should be Propagating Your Basil and on top of that regularly harvesting it actually makes it grow more and stronger! I harvest my basil typically at the end of June, July, August and September. Then the question is what to do with all that basil. Easy peasy. Homemade Basil Pesto.
Vegan, Whole30, Paleo, Keto Pesto
I am neither vegan, Whole30, Paleo, or Keto, but I know a lot of you are. That's the beauty of making your own pesto is that you can easily make it vegan, whole30 and paleo by not adding the cheese before serving! You can add some nutritional yeast if you'd like, but you really don't even have to! For you Keto people, basil pesto is already keto friendly, no substitutions needed.
Making Homemade Basil Pesto and Freezing It!
Making Homemade Basil Pesto is so Easy!
- Place basil, garlic cloves, salt and pine nuts and half the oil in your favorite food processor.
- Process, scraping down the sides if necessary.
- Gradually pour in the olive oil.
- If freezing, spoon into freezer safe jars either plastic or glass (I prefer glass), leaving a half inch head space. Pour a little bit of olive oil over the top.
Homemade Basil Pesto
- Combine basil, garlic, pine nuts, salt and half of the olive oil in a food processor.
- Process for about 20 pulses.
- Gradually pour the rest of the oil through the feed tube with the processor running.
- Process until desired consistency.
- Store in refrigerator or freezer, stirring in the cheese (if using) right before serving.
Originally published 06/2009 updated on 07/2018.