When Heather, at Girlichef, reminded me that today was National Margarita Day, I knew I was on-board with all kinds of celebrating! Since I had just returned from the grocery store with a bag of luscious blood oranges, I knew what was on the list. I wanted something that would showcase all the lovely deep red color and that sweetness of the juice.
I immediately started googling blood orange margaritas. I found one from Food and Wine, Blood Orange Margaritas, that has already been scaled for 12! So, if you are having a party, go for it! But since it was just the hubs and I, I thought that probably wouldn’t be a good idea. Oh, it might seem like a good idea at the time! I found a frozen Blood Orange Margarita from Ina. While I love a good frozen margarita, in the winter, I prefer mine on the rocks – and I had just gotten these cute large square ice cubes that I wanted to use! So, I finally settled on this basic, Blood Orange Margarita from Chow. Nothing fancy and the ratio was easy to remember.
Can I just say that this was the best margarita that I’ve ever had! It was sweet and tart and perfectly balanced. A little bit of tequila heat, but so smooth. Hmmm…maybe that recipe that serves 12 is not such a bad idea!
Blood Orange Margarita for National Margarita Day!!
Enjoy the fleeting blood orange season with these blood orange margaritas.
- Kosher salt for the rim of the glass
- lime wedge
- 1 1/2 ounces tequila silver, blanco
- 1 ounce blood orange juice freshly squeezed
- 1 ounce lime juice freshly squeezed
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- 1/4 ounce Cointreau
Rub rim of margarita glass with lime wedge and dip rim into salt. Hold glass at the angle you like to put as much salt on as you prefer.
Put the rest of the ingredients in a cocktail shaker and fill about half way with ice. Place the lid on the top and shake vigorously for about 20 seconds.
Pour into the salt-rimmed margarita glass and serve with the lime wedge.
Please check out what all these other bloggers are doing for National Margarita Day!
- Blood Orange Margarita from Sidewalk Shoes
- Blood Orange Margarita from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Caramelized Grapefruit Margarita from girlichef
- Cinnamon Orange Margarita from Sweet Life
- Cool Margarita Mule from Peaceful Cooking
- Iced Coffee Margarita from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Mango Margarita from La Cocina de Leslie
- Minty Papaya Margarita with Chile de Arbol Spice from Nibbles and Feasts
- Pomelo Margaritas from Food Lust People Love
- Winter Pomelo Ginger Margarita from Muy Bueno Cookbook
- Blood Orange Margarita Jello Shots from The Spiffy Cookie
- Pink Cadillac Margarita Cupcakes from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Salted Margarita Shortbread from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Strawberry Lime Margarita Cupcakes from Wishes and Dishes
- Strawberry Lime Aide Margarita Popsicles from Simply Healthy Family