Make a warming Bourbon Hot Toddy at the first sign of cold or flu! It’s so good, you’ll want to drink it even when you’re not sick. Honey, lemon, warm water and bourbon make a comforting warm whiskey cocktail that soothes your soul and your throat!
Benefits of Drinking a Hot Toddy
The only thing to look forward to during the cold and flu season is that you have a reason to drink a hot toddy. At the first sign of anything, or even if I just feel cold and need something soothing, I make a hot toddy.
This hot whiskey drink will literally soothe your throat and your soul. You might be wondering if it really does help.
It turns out that it does. Whiskey acts as a decongestant by dilating the blood vessels. The lemon and honey can soothe your throat. Just drinking a warm drink as opposed to a room temperature drink can make you feel better.
What you Need to Make a Bourbon Hot Toddy
- Bourbon – or whiskey. Note – all bourbon is whiskey, but not all whiskey is bourbon – my big takeaway from doing the Kentucky Bourbon Trail. So feel free to use your favorite bourbon or your favorite whiskey.
- Honey – try to find a local honey if you can to support your local bee keepers.
- Lemon – organic if possible since you’ll be floating a slice with the peel in your drink.
How to Make This Bourbon Hot Toddy!
Heat at least a cup of water to boiling. Pour it into the mug to warm the glass and then pour it back into the pan.
We are going to build the hot toddy in the glass so you don’t need a cocktail shaker, just a spoon for stirring.
Add 2 ounces of bourbon to your mug.
Add two tablespoons of honey on top of the bourbon. Again, try and find a local honey. Try the different flavors that they have. For this we used a wildflower honey.
Add and ounce of fresh squeezed lemon juice to the bourbon and honey. Really try to use fresh squeezed, it is so much better than bottled. I cut a slice out of the lemon for floating on the drink before squeezing the juice.
You can also squeeze some lemons ahead of time, it will last for about 2-3 days in the fridge or for 6 months in the freezer.
Add six ounces of hot water to your mug and stir to mix and dissolve the honey. To make it really easy, I pour water in a glass measuring cup and heat it in the microwave until it’s boiling and then just pour it straight from the cup into the mug!
Float a lemon slice on top.
The Best Hot Toddy Recipe!
This is seriously the best hot toddy recipe. I’ve tried several and this is the perfect blend of sweet and tart.
You might have noticed that I made two. The hubs was feeling poorly, sore throat, coughing and then it turned out he had pink eye! So, I offered to make him a bourbon hot toddy.
It’s just as easy to make two as it is to make one. Plus, I love them. They are really good, sweet, tart and so comforting!
Even More Bourbon Cocktail Recipes that you Need to Try!
The Cherry Bourbon is great for sipping and I use it other recipes in place of regular bourbon or whiskey.
If you make that cherry bourbon (and you should) next on your list should be a Cherry Old Fashioned.
Speaking of old fashioned’s, you have to try my fall old fashioned!
Bourbon Hot Toddy
- 2 ounces Bourbon
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 ounce lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 6 ounces hot water
- 1 slice of lemon
- Bring about a cup of water to a boil either on the stove or in the microwave. Pour some into your mug to warm it and then pour the water back into it's container.
- Add the bourbon to your warmed mug, then the honey, and then the lemon.
- Top with the warm water and stir.
- Float a lemon slice on top.