This cherry frozen yogurt is smooth and creamy and filled with cherry goodness!
Vanilla frozen yogurt is made even more delicious with a flavorful cherry swirl! Greek yogurt makes it extra creamy and fresh cherries are perfect though you can also use frozen.
Creamy frozen yogurt!
Who doesn't love a sweet frozen treat in the summer! Especially one that you can make your own ingredients so you know exactly what's in it.
I've been making this cherry frozen yogurt for years, it's an old Cooking Light recipe. When I went to make it this summer, I noticed that you now have to pay to access their recipes. Luckily, I had my recipe, with any changes that I made, written down.
I decided to share this recipe because it is just so good! I make it every single time I pick up fresh cherries and then I make it a few more times with frozen cherries.
- Fresh cherries - or you can use frozen cherries. You can also substitute blueberries, strawberries, peaches or raspberries. If cherries are on sale, be sure and buy enough to make Homemade Maraschino Cherries!
- Brown sugar, lemon juice - for that sweet tartness.
- Whole milk yogurt - can use lower fat, but it won't be as creamy. I like to use Greek yogurt, which makes it even thicker and richer. Save some for our Blueberry Frozen Yogurt!
- Half and half.
- Light corn syrup - or honey.
- Vanilla extract - I use my Homemade Vanilla Extract.
Step by step Instructions.
Begin by washing and pitting the cherries. I've linked to a cherry pitter in the recipe card. You want to get one with a shield, if not, you end up with cherry juice every where!
Once you've pitted the cherries, cut them into halves or quarters, depending on how big you want your cherry chunks to be.
Make the cherry syrup.
Combine the cherries and brown sugar in a pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Let them boil for a couple of minutes and then lower the heat to medium low and cook for another 15 minutes or so.
You want them to have a syrupy consistency.
Stir in the lemon juice and then place them in a container in the fridge until well chilled - about an hour or two.
Mix up the yogurt.
Place a 9x5 inch loaf pan in the freezer to chill.
In a bowl combine the yogurt, half and half, sugar, honey, and vanilla extract in a bowl. Stir to combine and place in the fridge for an hour or so to chill.
You basically want to get all your ingredients nice and cold before you process in your ice cream maker.
Make the frozen yogurt.
Pour the yogurt mixture into your ice cream maker and process per instructions. Mine takes about 30 minutes.
Add the cherry swirl!
When the vanilla frozen yogurt is finished, remove the loaf pan from the freezer and the cherries from the fridge.
Place half the frozen yogurt in the pan and top with half the cherries. Use a knife to swirl the cherries around.
Repeat with the remaining yogurt and cherries.
Gently place a piece of wax paper or parchment paper directly on the top of the yogurt and then wrap the whole pan with plastic wrap. Freeze until firm - about 4 hours.
This recipe is the perfect way to highlight cherries! The base vanilla frozen yogurt is sweet, but not too sweet. The swirl adds the cherry flavor all throughout and the bites of little bits of chunks of cherry are delightful!
**As an Amazon affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cherry Frozen Yogurt
- Over medium heat, bring cherries and brown sugar to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and look and cook for about 12 minutes until syrupy. Remove from heat, cool and then place in and airtight container in the fridge for an hour or until chilled.
- Place a 9x5 inch loaf pan in the freezer. Combine the yogurt, half and half, sugar, honey and vanilla extract. Place in the fridge and chill for about an hour.
- Place the yogurt in a your favorite ice cream maker and process per instructions.
- Place half the frozen yogurt in the loaf pan. Spoon half the cherry mixture on top and swirl with a knife. Repeat with remaining half of yogurt and cherries.
- Gently lay a piece of parchment paper or wax paper on top, then wrap the whole loaf pan tightly in plastic wrap.
- Chill for at least 4 hours.
Such a delicious summer treat!
Ellen J Pilch says
That looks so good. I wish you would give us an update on the kitties. 🙂
Pam Greer says
The kitties are all doing great! Are you on Instagram? I would love to follow you!
Chef Dennis says
This is making me drool! Yum!
Yummy! My husband and son are going to just love this recipe! Looks amazing and so cooling. Excited to make this soon!
My kids really enjoyed this delicious and refreshing summer treat!
This is like a healthy version of Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia! I am so glad I found this recipe!
This was soooo good. Cherry vanilla is my favorite. This is a keeper!