Turn rotisserie chicken, or leftover turkey into this light and flavorful Healthy Chicken Lettuce Wraps. With pantry ingredients like soy sauce, hoisin sauce and oyster sauce flavoring the chicken, you get an Asian flair that everyone loves. Bright shredded carrots and cabbage, sesame oil and rice wine vinegar make a gorgeous healthy slaw for the wraps.
Post may contain affiliate links full disclosure on side bar.
Healthy Lettuce Wraps
Have you tried lettuce wraps? I admit when I first saw them, I thought, where is the tortilla? Where is the flatbread? I thought they would taste like they were missing something. Mainly carbs, because if there is one thing I love it’s carbs.
But guess what? I loved them. They were so fresh and light. The lettuce made the perfect wrap. It allowed all the fresh flavors to shine through.
I was hooked.
Healthy Chicken Lettuce Wraps
This is one of my favorite ways to use leftover cooked chicken or rotisserie chicken. It is also perfect for Thanksgiving leftover turkey. After all the heavy foods at Thanksgiving, everyone loves this light and healthy wrap.
This wrap couldn’t be any simpler to make. You create a sauce of soy sauce, hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, chicken stock and garlic and heat up the shredded chicken or turkey in that sauce. It is sooo good!
While it’s warming up you make a quick vinegar slaw, with gorgeous purple cabbage and bright orange carrots. Your favorite food processor will make quick work of this using the shredding disk. I know that you are supposed to serve lettuce wraps in butter lettuce because they make such perfect cups, but I tend to use whatever lettuce I have in the fridge.
I originally found this recipe many years ago on Food52.
Looking for more healthy wraps:
These Instant Pot Pork Lettuce Wraps have whole grains in them!
I used cabbage instead of lettuce for these Thai Beef Cabbage Wraps.
Healthy Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 5 cups cooked chicken shredded
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
Slaw and Wraps
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrot
- 1 1/2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 head butter lettuce washed and separated into leaves
Make the Chicken
- Heat the oil and garlic in a saucepan over medium-low heat, for about 2 minutes. Add the chicken.
- In a bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, sugar and chicken stock.
- Pour sauce mixture over chicken and stir to coat. Cook for about 5 minutes to warm up chicken.
Make the Slaw and Wraps
- In a large bowl mix the carrots, cabbage, and green onions with the sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, generous grinds of fresh ground black pepper and a sprinkling of sesame seeds.
- To make the wraps, divide the chicken evenly between the lettuce leaves. Top with slaw.