Chicken Tortilla Soup is a family favorite that can be made easily in the crockpot.
Put all the ingredients for this delicious soup in the slow cooker in the morning and quickly prep the toppings before dinner and you are ready to go!
I was looking through my backlog of cooking photos to see what to post next and I saw this Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup. I thought, "Oh that must be to update an old post." Then I looked on here and saw that I didn't have a chicken tortilla soup already posted.
How can that be?
I make this soup several times a year. It's my go-to when I want an easy dinner. I love to serve it when family comes over because it can be simmering away while we catch up on what's going on in everyone's life. Then I can set out lots of toppings and everyone can make theirs how they like it. an
It may seem like there are a lot of ingredients in this, but most of them are in a can, so it's still really easy!
- Canned ingredients - diced tomatoes, red or green enchilada sauce, chopped green chilies, vegetable or chicken broth, and corn (or you can use frozen corn.)
- Chicken - I like to use bone-in chicken. In this case, it was 3 whole chicken leg quarters - or about 2 pounds of chicken.
- Produce - onions, garlic, and fresh cilantro.
- Spices - cumin, chili powder, salt, black pepper, bay leaf, and dried oregano.
- Tortillas and olive oil - because it is tortilla soup!
- Toppings - really these are up to you! Some favorites are: shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado or avocado crema, more cilantro, and hot peppers.
Add the can of diced tomatoes and enchilada sauce to the crockpot. No need to drain the tomatoes. Mine looks a little odd because I used green enchilada sauce because that's what I had. You can also use red!
Add the diced onions and canned chilies to the slow cooker.
Add the garlic, cilantro, water, chicken broth, cumin, chili powder, corn, salt, pepper, bay leaf and oregano to the slow cooker.
Add the chicken and submerge it as best you can under the liquid.
Cook the soup on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
Remove the chicken and let it cool until you can shred the meat and add it back to the slow cooker.
While the chicken is cooling, preheat the oven to 400°F. Brush the tortillas with the oil and cut into 1-inch strips. Bake for 8-12 minutes, turning them once half way through.
Next comes my favorite part of this soup - the toppings!
On this particular day, I kept it simple with just shredded cheese and some more cilantro.
Feel free to add whatever toppings you'd like, we especially love jalapeño peppers, sour cream, and avocado.
More crockpot soup recipes.
**As an Amazon affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 10 oz enchilada sauce red or green
- 2 onions chopped
- 4 oz green chilies canned, chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 cups water
- 14.5 ounce chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 pounds chicken leg quarters or just legs or thighs
- 10 ounce corn canned (drained) or frozen (thawed)
- 8 corn tortillas
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- hot peppers
- fresh cilantro
- Combine all ingredients under the Soup heading (up to the tortillas) into the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the chicken and let it rest until it's cool enough to shred. Shred it and add it back into the soup. Discard the bay leaf.
- While the chicken is cooling, preheat the oven to 400°f. Brush both sides of the tortillas with oil and cut into 1-inch strips and place them on a baking sheet. Bake for about 8-12 minutes, turning them at the halfway point. Keep an eye on them they can go from crisp to burned quickly!
- Serve the chicken soup with some of the tortilla strips and toppings of your choice.