Don’t buy snack bars, it’s so easy to make your own healthy snack bars! These delicious crunchy bars are sweetened with honey and full of good for you chia seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, raisins, coconut and cinnamon.
Healthy Snack Bars
Have you gone down the snack bar grocery aisle lately? It is loaded with “healthy” snack bars. We are a society on the go and we need to have easy snacks that we can just grab and go.
Store bought snack bars range in price from okay to outrageous. Many of them contain additives and added sugar. All things we don’t need.
Wait till you see how easy it is to make your own healthy snack bars! You’ll never buy store bought again.
Ingredients for these Chia Seed Bars
- White chia seeds – you can use black, the white are more attractive in a snack.
- Pumpkin Seeds – could also use sunflower seeds.
- Sesame Seeds
- Currants – can use raisins or small bite size pieces of your favorite dried fruit – like apples, blueberries, cranberries.
- Shredded Coconut
- Ground Cinnamon
- Vanilla Extract – I use my Easy Homemade Vanilla Extract
How to Make Coconut Chia Seed Bars
These are so easy to make!
- Step One – preheat the oven.
- Step Two – combine everything – the chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, dried fruit, coconut, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and honey – in a large bowl.
- Tip – It will be sticky, a rubber spatula makes mixing the ingredients easy.
- Step Three – lightly grease an 8 inch baking pan and line with parchment paper.
- Step Four – Scoop the seed mixture into the pan.
- Tip – Tear off an extra sheet of parchment paper or waxed paper and lay it over the top. Press down using the back of a measuring cup or your hands. So easy! Press it down so that it’s even.
- Step Five – Bake for about 50 minutes, remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 30 minutes. Then refrigerate fro an hours.
- Step Six – Slice using a serrated knife. Store in an airtight container.
- Tip – if any of the bars crumble, it’s great on top of yogurt or ice cream!
Healthy Chia Seed Bars
These bars are so good. The honey glazes everything and makes them sweet and crunchy.
Looking for more healthy snacks:
- Healthy Apple Muffins
- Homemade Slow Cooker Apple Sauce
- Roasted Beet Hummus
- Oat Bran Blueberry Crumble
Coconut Chia Bars
These healthy snacks are filled with coconut, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, and currants. Sweetened with honey!
- 1/4 cup white chia seeds
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup currants or raisins
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup honey
Preheat the oven to 325.
In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients.
Lightly grease an 8x8 pan and line with parchment paper. Add the seed mixture and firmly press down (use another piece of parchment on top for this.)
Bake for 50 minutes.
Place in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Using a serrated knife, slice into 20 small pieces.
Store in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
- White chia seeds - you can use black, the white are more attractive in a snack.
- Pumpkin Seeds - could also use sunflower seeds.
- Currants - can use raisins or small bite size pieces of your favorite dried fruit - like apples, blueberries, cranberries.
- Vanilla Extract - I use my Easy Homemade Vanilla Extract
- Tip - It will be sticky, a rubber spatula makes mixing the ingredients easy.
- Tip - Tear off an extra sheet of parchment paper or waxed paper and lay it over the top. Press down using the back of a measuring cup or your hands. So easy! Press it down so that it's even.
- Tip - if any of the bars crumble, it's great on top of yogurt or ice cream!
This post was originally published in 2018 and updated for 2019.