No need to buy coffee liqueur when it is so easy to make your own at home with this easy Coffee Liqueur Recipe! This coffee liqueur is so delicious and tastes so much better than store bought, plus you know all the ingredients that go into it!
Why Make Your Own Coffee Flavored Liqueur
You may be wondering why you should make your own coffee liqueur. Well, for one thing it’s fun and easy. You can make as much or as little as you need.
The most important reason is that you know exactly what’s in it. It is not a coffee flavoring liqueur – yes, I checked at the liquor store and one of the liqueurs had coffee flavoring added. Coffee flavoring?
Who needs or wants coffee flavoring when you can make you own homemade Kahlua at home!
Ingredients to Make Homemade Coffee Liqueur
- Water – use filtered if your tap has strong flavors.
- Sugar – white sugar is fine. If you wanted a deeper more molasses flavor to your liqueur, you could use brown sugar.
- Espresso Instant Coffee – this is the brand that I use: espresso instant coffee – espresso powder does not dissolve as well as espresso instant coffee.
- Vodka – you don’t need a high end, but one that would still enjoy drinking.
- Vanilla Bean – I just pulled one from my vanilla extract.
How to Make Homemade Kahlua
In a large saucepan combine the water, sugar, and instant coffee. Bring to a high simmer (just right before a boil.) Cover and let it simmer for 1 hour. Check it to make sure that it’s simmering and not coming to a boil. Adjust the heat if necessary.
After the hour is up, remove from the heat and let cool. Add the vodka and stir to combine.
Place the vanilla bean in your jar and then pour in the coffee liqueur. Put a lid on the jar and let it sit in a cool dark place for about 2 weeks before serving.
That’s all there is to this coffee liqueur recipe – so easy!
The Best Homemade Coffee Liqueur!
This is so good! We love it straight (in my great vintage glasses that I found at the World’s Largest Yardsale!) or to use it in cocktails.
Recipes With Coffee Liqueur:
Take Vietnamese Iced Coffee to a whole new level with this Boozy Iced Coffee!
One of the simplest and best desserts ever is an Affogato with Coffee Liqueur!
These Chocolate Coffee Dessert Shots are a favorite at our house, so easy and everyone loves getting their own shot glass!
If you want to drink your dessert, then you will love this Chocolate Coffee Martini!
Homemade Liqueurs Make the Best Gifts!
You can make this homemade liqueur for yourself, and I urge you to, but it also makes a great gift! You may have noticed that I have been republishing and remaking all my liqueurs. That’s because it’s that time of the year! Check out all of my Infusion Recipes, I’m sure you’ll find something to make for someone!
Homemade Coffee Liqueur
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 1/2 tablespoons instant coffee espresso
- 4 cups vodka
- 2 vanilla beans
- Combine the water, sugar, and instant coffee in a large saucepan and bring to a high simmer, but not a boil. Cover and cook for 1 hour, taking care that it continues to simmer without coming to a boil.
- Let the mixture cool and add the vodka, stirring to combine. Transfer to a bottle or jar, add the vanilla beans, screw on the lid, and keep in a cool, dark place for at least 2 weeks before serving (though it will taste even better as time passes).
This post was originally published in 2014 and has been updated for 2019.