These easy, healthy Cranberry Pumpkin Muffins will become a family favorite! They make great after school snacks or an easy Halloween treat or Thanksgiving dessert option!
Post contains affiliate links, full disclosure on sidebar.
Easy Healthy Muffin Recipes
I have decided that I don't bake nearly enough muffins. They are usually easier than a cake and come with built in portion control. I also like that it is pretty easy to make some healthy substitutions with muffins. You definitely can't beat their grab and go awesomeness!
So, expect to see lots more easy, healthy muffin recipes on this site. I already have an apple strudel one picked out for this weekend!
Stocking Up on Pumpkin
I don't know about you, but when the end caps at the grocery store start filling up with cans of pumpkin, I stock up. It's like I'm afraid there is going to be some great catastrophe and I'll be left with no cans of pumpkin. For the record, I do the same thing with cranberries, because how else am I going to make Brandied Cranberries, Cranberry Liqueur or Cranberry Negronis?
Anyone else have hoarding issues with pumpkin and cranberries?
Cranberry Pumpkin Muffins
These Cranberry Pumpkin Muffins are easy to prepare!
- You combine your dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Cream the sugar and the wet ingredients in your favorite stand mixer or hand mixer.
- Add the flour ingredients and beat to just combine and fold in cranberries.
- Place paper cupcake liners coated with cooking spray in a muffin pan.
- Bake, cool and enjoy!
Easy Healthy Substitutions
I found this recipe at Cooking Light, however I made a few healthier changes to it. The original recipe called for 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour. I used 1 cup all purpose and 1/2 cup of whole wheat pastry flour. I also decreased the granulated sugar from one cup to 1/2 cup. They were still plenty sweet and I'm going to make them again with just 1/4 cup.
I think these would also be good with some fruit substitutions. Dried apricots or dried blueberries would be good, even raisins. You'll have to let me know if you make them with any substitutions!
Cranberry Pumpkin Muffins
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup sweetened dried cranberries chopped
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Lightly spoon the flour into a dry measuring cup and level with a knife. Do the same with the whole wheat pastry flour. Whisk the flours with the next 6 ingredients to combine.
- Combine the granulated sugar and the next 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Beat for about 3 minutes at medium speed.
- Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture. Beat at low speed until just combined. Fold in cranberries.
- Place 12 cupcake liners in a muffin tin and spray lightly with cooking spray. Divide batter evenly into the cups.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until muffins spring back when lightly touched.
- Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
You might also like these Pumpkin Pie Biscotti.
This week I am linking up with:
Amaze Me Monday |
Lou Lou Girls |
| The Scoop
The Hearth and Soul |
The SITS Girls |
Full Plate Thursday |
Thursday Favorite Things |
Friday Favorites |
Country Cook Weekend Potluck