Slow Cooker Dijon Chicken Stew is pure comfort food! Slow cooked chicken thighs are fall apart tender with chunks of potatoes and perfectly cooked kale all in a hearty broth!
Slow Cooker Chicken Stew
There is something about chicken stews that cook all day in the slow cooker. Besides the fact that your house smells amazing, it is so nice to know that you have a big bowl of comfort waiting for you at the end of the day.
One slurp of this stew and you'll know it's something special. It's an easy and simple stew, no browning required, but it gets a lot of flavor from the wine and the dijon mustard. Gives it something a little extra.
Another stew that we love is this Chicken and Stout Stew. Chicken braises all day in a broth made even more richer with bacon, mushrooms and a dark stout!
Ingredients to Make Slow Cooker Dijon Chicken Stew
You don't need any exotic ingredients to make this simple chicken stew - leeks and dijon mustard are as fancy as it gets.
- Chicken thighs - I prefer to use bone in, skin on chicken thighs for slow cooker soups and stews. They have so much flavor and the bones and skin add extra goodness to the broth.
- Leeks - you could use onions if you don't have leeks. Leeks add a milder flavor and they pair well with the wine and the mustard.
- Potatoes - I like to use Yukon gold, but you can use whatever potatoes you can find. Yukon Golds don't even need to be peeled, but I peeled mine. If you use russet, you definitely want to peel them - the skin tends to stay tough.
- Dijon Mustard - adds a rustic spicy flavor.
- Chicken Stock - I use homemade.
- Garlic - use as little or as much as you'd like.
- White Wine - use a wine that you would drink. I've also used vermouth.
- Flour - not pictured. Use this to thicken the stew. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Stew with Potatoes and Kale
Prepare the leeks - cut off all but the light green to white part. Cut them in half lengthwise and swish around in water to get out all the grit. Then lay them cut side down and thinly slice.
Peel and mince the garlic cloves.
Wash and peel the potatoes and then dice them - I used about an inch and a half dice. You can leave the peel on if you'd like.
Trim off extra skin and fat off of the thighs.
Place the leeks, garlic, potatoes, chicken, salt and pepper, white wine, chicken broth, water and potatoes into the slow cooker.
You can add the kale now if you want it softer, I prefer to add it during the last hour of cooking, when I remove the chicken to bone and shred.
About an hour before serving, wash the kale and chop into bite sized pieces.
Remove the chicken from the stew with a slotted spoon and set it out to cool. Stir the kale into the soup.
When the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove the skin and bones and shred the meat. Stir the chicken back into the stew.
If you want the stew thicker, mix water and flour and stir into the stew.
This is so good. It's like a bowl of comfort food! It is bursting with flavor from the wine and dijon mustard. The chicken and potatoes are tender and the kale has a bit of chewy bite. It's a meal in a bowl, but you could serve it with a small salad and some crusty bread to soak up all that hearty broth!
More Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
Another favorite with chicken and potatoes is this Slow Cooker Chicken Vesuvio.
These Easy Chicken Burrito Bowls are perfect for game day!
You'll love the amazingly flavorful broth in this Chicken Udon Soup from Donna Hay.
This Tex Mex Chicken Soup is loved by adults and kids!
If you make this I would love it if you would follow me and tag me on Pinterest | Instagram | Facebook
Slow Cooker Dijon Chicken Stew with Potatoes and Kale
- 2 cups sliced leeks
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cups potatoes peeled and diced
- 8 cups kale loosely packed and torn into pieces
- Crushed red pepper optional
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- Add all of the ingredients except for the crushed red pepper and flour to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. If you like your kale to have more bite to it, add it during the last hour of cooking. About an hour before serving mix the 1 tablespoon of flour with 1 tablespoon of water and stir into stew. At this time you can also remove the thighs and when cool, shred the meat from the bone and return to the stew.
- Taste and add salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve garnished with crushed red pepper flakes.
The was originally posted in 2014 and has been updated for 2019.
I would never think to use chicken in stew, but it's a delicious idea!
I love a comforting chicken stew and this looks delicious.
A love a good slow cooker recipe for the winter months. This one has such fresh and healthy winter flavors.
The perfect hearty soup for this time of the year. I love all the flavors plus the tender chicken thighs. Thank you!
Jacqueline Meldrum says
I've started using my slow cooker again too. It's so good in the winter. I love that the potatoes and veggies are all in the stew too. A real one-pot winter meal.
This is exactly why I need a slow cooker! This looks amazing!
Julie Mogler says
I would love this stew. Hubby is not a mustard person, so not so much for him.
Pam Greer says
The mustard is really subtle in it, but still, this means you don't have to share 🙂
You'll be horrified to know that I don't have a slow cooker! So it's all about the stovetop for me. But I'm thinking this stew sounds perfect either way.