The classic old fashioned gets a delicious fruity twist in this Double Cherry Old Fashioned. Not too sweet, with just the right amount of lush cherry flavor! One sip and you'll be hooked.
The Old Fashioned Cocktail
The old fashioned cocktail was one of the first cocktails that I learned how to make. It's a simple cocktail. Elegant.
It's composed of 3 components: a spirit, a sweetener, and a bitters. The spirit is classically either a bourbon or a whiskey. The sweetener used to be a sugar cube, but now is frequently simple syrup. Bitters - usually Angostura. Garnished with an orange peel.
To make variations on an Old Fashioned you can play with any of those three components. In my Maple Old Fashioned instead of simple syrup, I used maple syrup. Then to play off the sweetness of the maple syrup, I switched out the bourbon for a rye whiskey. I kept the classic bitters the same.
Today I am back with a double cherry old fashioned, where I play with the spirit, the sweetener, and the spirit.
Ingredients in this Double Cherry Old Fashioned
- Maraschino Liqueur - Luxardo is the easiest to find, for that double cherry!
- Bourbon - keeping it local with some Chattanooga Whiskey!
- Aromatic Bitters - for a bit of spice.
- Cherry Bourbon - make this now! It's so good!
- Angostura Orange Bitters - the classic.
How to Make a Double Cherry Bourbon Old Fashioned
- Step 1 - grab a mixing glass and a cocktail stirring spoon.
- Step 2 - add 1 ½ ounces of bourbon, ½ ounce of cherry bourbon, ½ ounce maraschino liqueur, a dash of orange bitters and a dash of angostura bitters to the mixing glass.
- Step 3 - fill about halfway with ice and stir for about 15 seconds to chill and properly dilute the cocktail.
- Step 4 - strain into a chilled rocks glass and add a large ice cube.
- Step 5 - using a vegetable peeler, peel off a strip of orange peel. Twist the orange peel over the drink releasing it's oils. Run the peel along the rim of the glass and then drop into the drink.
The Best Double Cherry Bourbon Old Fashioned
This is sooo good! Normally I try not to make too many cocktails featuring a liqueur or liquor that I've infused because then you have to make that in order to make the cocktail.
However, this cocktail was so good, I had to share it. You really need to make the cherry bourbon!
I first tried with cocktail with all cherry bourbon and it was a little too much cherry. It was still good, so if you think you'd like even more cherry flavor you can do that. However adding some regular bourbon really created a balanced cocktail.
Even More Bourbon Recipes
The Blackberry Whiskey Sour is another favorite fruit and bourbon cocktail!
Bourbon and chocolate are a match made in heaven in this grown up boozy popsicle!
Celebrate fall with a fun maple cocktail.
I'm sure there are several bourbon cocktails in this roundup of Apple Cocktails!
Follow my Scotch, Whiskey and Bourbon Board on Pinterest for even more!
Double Cherry Old Fashioned
- 1 ½ ounces cherry bourbon
- ½ ounce bourbon
- ½ ounce maraschino liqueur
- 1 dash orange bitters
- 1 dash aromatic bitters
- orange twist for garnish
- Chill a rocks glass.
- Add the cherry bourbon, bourbon, Maraschino liqueur, orange bitters and aromatic bitters to a mixing glass.
- Fill halfway with ice and stir for about 15 seconds to chill and dilute.
- Strain into chilled glass, add one large ice cube.
- Using a peeler, peel of a small strip of orange zest. Twist it over the drink to release it's oils, then rub it on the rim of the glass and drop into the drink.