The traditional Greek chopped salad gets and American spin with the addition of lettuce.
All the flavors you love in a Greek salad - tomatoes, cucumbers, bell pepper, olives, feta cheese and a lemon vinaigrette plus lettuce.
Perfect summer salad!
There is one salad I make all summer long and that is either a Traditional Greek Salad, an American Greek Salad or a Kale Greek Salad.
The traditional salad is also called a chopped salad. All of the veggies are chopped into bite sized pieces and tossed with their dressing.
The American version adds lettuce to the mix.
I don't have a favorite, I love them both. The traditional version is great for make ahead or cookouts because you don't have to worry about the lettuce going limp.
- Green bell pepper - you can also use red, yellow or orange bell peppers.
- Cucumber and tomatoes - buy extras and make our Classic Cucumber Dill Salad and our super easy Tomato and Parsley Salad.
- Olive oil, lemon juice, dried oregano and salt and pepper - you can use red wine vinegar in place of the lemon juice and fresh oregano in place of the dried.
- Feta cheese - try to find sheep's milk if you can - save some feta for another classic Greek recipe - Greek Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta!
- Red onion - can use white or yellow, but red is sweeter.
- Kalamata olives - can substitute your favorite olive, but it does change the profile of the salad.
- Lettuce - or spinach or arugula.
Step by step instructions.
Whisk together the dressing ingredients: olive oil, lemon juice, dried oregano, and salt and pepper.
Thinly slice the red onions and add them to the bowl to let them marinate while you prepare the rest of the vegetables. This allows them to soften, mellow and quick pickles them.
Make a decision if you want your veggies sliced or diced. I chose to slice mine.
I cut the cucumbers in half lengthwise and then sliced them thinly, sliced the peppers and sliced the tomatoes.
Pit and cut the olives in half or quarters and tear or thinly slice the lettuce.
Add the lettuce to the bowl on top of the red onions and dressing.
Add the cucumbers, bell peppers, tomatoes, olives and crumble the feta cheese on top.
Expert tip - if you want to transport this salad, put the harder veggies on top of the onion mixture and top with the lettuce. Then just toss when you arrive. This will keep the lettuce from getting soggy in the dressing.
Toss the salad until everything is evenly coated in the dressing.
Taste and adjust seasoning.
This is such and easy and refreshing summer salad! We actually make it year round though using hot house cucumbers and cherry tomatoes.
Check out my Salads Category for even more light and delicious salads like this one!
**As an Amazon affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Greek Salad with Lettuce
- 1 green pepper thinly sliced or diced
- 1 cucumber thinly sliced or diced
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced or diced
- 3 tomatoes sliced into wedges
- 20 kalamata olives pitted, halved or quartered
- 4 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 cups lettuce torn or sliced
- salt and pepper
- Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, oregano and salt and pepper. Add the red onion slices and let marinate while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
- Slice or dice the green bell peppers, cucumbers, and tomatoes. Quarter or halve the kalamata olives. Tear or slice the lettuce.
- Place the lettuce on top of the red onion mixture, add the rest of the salad ingredients and toss to combine.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
This recipe was originally published in 2011 and has been updated in 2021.