This classic Greek salad is loaded with fresh vegetables, feta cheese and lemony olive oil dressing!
Bell peppers, cucumbers, red onions, tomatoes, Kalamata olives, feta cheese and simple lemon vinaigrette.
I have always loved Mediterranean recipes and one of the first cookbooks I bought was The Olive and The Caper - Adventures in Greek Cooking (link in recipe card.)
It is a cookbook, but it is so much more. There are stories, facts, photos all about Greece. The recipes are authentic and classic and always delicious! It is my go to book when I want to make a Greek recipe.
Like this Greek Village Salad. This is what's called a chopped salad - in that it is composed of chopped vegetables all kind of about the same size. The classic Greek salad does not include lettuce - but I do have Greek Salad with Lettuce version too if you like yours with lettuce. I even have a Kale Greek Salad.
Can you tell I love Greek salads?! The mix of salty feta and olives with cucumbers and tomatoes and sweet bell peppers is just so good!
For even more info about Greek Cooking this Introduction to Greek Foods is pretty interesting!
- Bell peppers - traditional is green, I use whatever color I have.
- Red onion - can substitute white.
- Tomatoes - preferably fresh summer tomatoes - can make it with cherry in the winter.
- Kalamata olives.
- Capers - optional. I usually omit them.
- Feta cheese - I try to find sheep's milk feta.
- Extra virgin olive oil - try to find a fruity one!
- Lemon juice - fresh squeezed - can substitute red wine vinegar.
- Oregano - dried.
Step by step instructions.
Quick pickle the onions.
I like to do a quick pickle of the onions to soften the bite a bit, it's completely optional. Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper in a large bowl. Thinly slice the onions and add them to the bowl and toss to coat. Let them sit while you prep the other veggies.
Prep the vegetables.
You basically want the vegetables to be about the same size.
Slice the bell pepper into thick slices or chunks.
Peel the cucumber (if you want) and cut it in half lengthwise. If it is very seedy, use a spoon to scrape out the seeds. Cut into thick half moon slices.
Cut the tomatoes into wedges or chunks.
Leave the olives whole or you can cut them in half.
Assemble the salad.
Place the vegetables and crumbled feta cheese in the bowl with the onions. Toss to coat in the dressing. Top with crumbled dry oregano, toss gently and serve.
This quick salad is everything you'd hope it would be. Quick, easy and delicious veggies in every bite. It makes a great side dish or I like to pair it with Spicy Pita Chips for a light main dish.
More quick salads for you to enjoy.
**As an Amazon affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Greek Village Salad
- 1 green bell pepper cut into thick strips or chunks
- 1 cucumber cut into thick half rounds
- 1 red onion cut into thin half round slices
- 3 tomatoes cut into ½ inch wedges or chunks
- 20 kalamata olives cut in half or left whole
- 4 ounces feta cheese coarsely crumbled
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice fresh, or red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil and lemon juice and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Add the thinly sliced red onions and let them pickle a bit, while you prepare the rest of the veggies.
- Add the rest of the vegetables and the cheese to the bowl. Toss to combine and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Top with the crumbled dried oregano for serving.