This savory bread pudding is the perfect leftover ham recipe! With about a cup of ham, you can make a cheesy casserole that everyone will love and it serves 4!
With just a handful of ingredients, you'll turn to this ham and cheese bread pudding every time you have any leftover ham! Kid friendly and adults love it too!
I am not adventuresome with it comes to leftover ham. I have found what works and I am sticking with it.
I have been making this savory bread pudding since 2004 when I first saw it in that year's Cooking Light Annual. I make a few modifications, which I'll note in the ingredient list, but once you get the formula down, it's so easy to make variations.
Green onions - can use regular onions or even substitute some chives for part of the onions.
Ham - leftover diced ham or you can even buy some deli ham.
Bread - the original recipe calls for Hawaiian Bread Rolls, which is so good. However, I usually use whatever leftover bread I have available. This time I used a rye bread for a different twist on the flavor.
Eggs and Milk - the original recipe calls for fat free milk and egg substitute, I use full fat milk and regular eggs.
Swiss Cheese - you can substitute your favorite cheese. This is also good with smoked gouda or fontina!
Preheat the oven to 350.
Place the bread crumbs on a baking sheet and bake until lightly browned, turning occasionally for about 15 minutes.
In a skillet over medium high heat, spray a little cooking spray or use a drizzle of olive oil.
Saute the onions, ham and garlic for about 5 minutes, to soften the onions and infuse the garlic flavor. Let cool.
In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Add the bread cubes, tossing them to coat.
Coat an 8 inch baking dish with cooking spray and add half of the ham and bread mixture.
Top with half of the shredded cheese.
Scoop the rest of the ham and bread mixture on top.
Bake at 350 for 25 minutes, then sprinkle with the rest of the cheese and bake for 20 more minutes.
This bread pudding is so good! Cheesy and warm.
As I mentioned above this is super easy to modify, just by changing the cheese or the bread, you can make it your own.
**As an Amazon affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ham and Cheese Pudding
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- While oven preheats, spray a skillet with cooking spray and over medium high heat, saute the ham, garlic and onions for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Place the bread cubes on a baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes until golden brown, turning occasionally.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add the ham mixture and the bread cubes and stir to combine.
- Spray an 8 inch baking dish with cooking spray and add half the ham and bread mixture. Sprinkle half of the cheese over it. Top with the rest of the ham mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes, top with the rest of the cheese and bake for 20 minutes more.
This was originally published in 2013 and has been updated for 2021.