Don't tell anyone that these delicious apple muffins are good for them and they'll never know! Made with whole wheat flour, yogurt and oats, these are muffins that you can feel good about eating!
Why I Love Making Muffins!
I like baking biscotti because it's almost fool proof. It doesn't have to rise or stay moist. It doesn't even have to look all the pretty.
Lately though I've fallen for muffins. It turns out that baking muffins is easy too!
Healthy Low Calorie Apple Muffins
I mentioned on this Broccoli Salad with Bacon and Cranberries, that I have been cooking from Cooking Light Recipes lately. I've slowly started working my way through their muffins, especially ones that I can make a little bit healthier. I found these Healthy Apple Muffins in the 2003 May issue.
These muffins were already pretty healthy with apples, oats and yogurt. I bumped it up a little more by replacing some of the white flour with whole wheat pastry flour. That's my favorite way to bump up fiber and nutrients!
Ingredients in Healthy Apple Muffins:
- Apples - use organic if possible, apples are on the dirty dozen list.
- All Purpose Flour
- Whole Wheat Pastry Flour - my secret ingredient for bumping up fiber and nutrients. It is not as heavy as regular whole wheat.
- Oats - I used quick cooking, you can use regular rolled oats too.
- Brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Milk - recipe calls for fat free, you can use whatever milk you would like.
- Vegetable Oil.
- Vanilla Extract - use homemade vanilla extract if you have it!
- Yogurt - plain.
- Cooking Spray.
How to Make Apple Muffins
You can see why I love making muffins, it's so easy.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients in a batter bowl.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients.
- Fold in extras - in this case shredded apple.
- Put in paper lined muffin tins.
- Eat and enjoy!
More Healthy Muffin Recipes:
Everyone loves these Healthy Apple Streusel Muffins with Maple Glaze!
Stock up on canned pumpkin so you can make these Cranberry Pumpkin Muffins all year round!
Healthy Pumpkin Muffins with Oats and Chocolate Chips - pumpkin and chocolate is so delicious together!
Be sure and follow my Muffin Recipes Board on Pinterest.
Healthy Apple Muffins with Oats
- 2 cups peeled and shredded apple (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup oats quick cooking
- 2/3 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup milk fat free
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounce plain yogurt low-fat
- 1 egg
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Place apples on a paper towel and squeeze out some of the excess moisture.
- Spoon flours into dry measuring cups and level with a knife. Add to medium bowl. Add oats, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Whisk to combine. Make a well in the center.
- In another bowl, combine milk, oil, vanilla, yogurt and egg. Whisk.
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture, stirring just to combine. Stir in apples.
- Fill muffin pan with liners or spray with cooking spray. Spoon batter in to 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until they spring back when touched lightly in the center.
- Remove from baking pan and cool on wire rack.