This Kale and Whole Grain Salad is so hearty and filling, with kale, whole grain spelt, dried cranberries and walnuts! It makes the perfect all in one side dish!
Post may contain affiliate links, full disclosure on sidebar.
Kale and Whole Grains Salad
Raise your hand if you have vowed to eat healthier in the new year? Yeah, me too. I am following my version of the Mediterranean diet. Basically half of my meal is fruits and veggies, a fourth is whole grains, and a fourth is a protein of some sort. Oh, and lots of olive oil and small amounts of healthy nuts.
It’s not difficult, but when I find a multi-tasker, like this Kale and Spelt Salad, it makes me very happy! I found it in The Vegetable Butcher. It has dark leafy greens, whole grain spelt, dried cranberries, and toasted walnuts!
Besides all the goodness packed into this one salad, it also lasts for days! We had it for 4 days in a row. The first day with rotisserie chicken legs, the next two days – I added shredded rotisserie chicken breasts to the salad, and on the fourth day, we had the last of it with a sandwich. It was as good on the fourth day as it was on the first making it perfect for healthy make ahead!
I actually cooked my spelt in the Instant Pot, because I do everything in my Instant Pot. But since this is not really an Instant Pot recipe, I left the original instructions. I’ll do a post on grains in the Instant Pot later.
Kale and Spelt Salad
- 1 cup spelt berries picked through and rinsed
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion finely diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 ounces kale wash, stems removed and torn into 2 inch pieces
- 2 ounces feta crumbled
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Bring to boil a large pot of lightly salted water. Add the spelt berries and cook them partially covered for 50-60 minutes or until they are tender. Drain and spread them out on a rimmed baking sheet to cool.
- To make the dressing, combine the lemon juice, salt and maple syrup in a small bowl. Slowly pour in the olive oil, whisking as you do.
- In a large bowl, combine the spelt, cranberries, walnuts, onion, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Drizzle with half of the dressing and toss to combine. Add the kale and more of dressing to taste. Toss until well combined and the kale is evenly coated with dressing. Top with feta to serve.
Don’t forget you can sign up to receive an email when a new post goes live! The best part is you can check to receive all updates or just your favorite parts of the blog! Maybe you only like recipes or just want to see my adorable cats, I’ve got you covered!
Update Notes: This was originally published in 2018 and has been updated for 2019.