I would add “Bucks” to that list, but now I have been enlightened on the tasty cocktails!
A buck cocktail is that contains ginger ale or ginger beer, citrus and a base liquor. It may or may not have fruit or herbs muddled in it.
Hmmm… doesn’t that sound like a Moscow Mule? Why, yes it does, a Moscow Mule is a Buck!
- Whiskey or Bourbon – we choose a rye whiskey for our version of the buck. We also love it, of course, with a Kentucky Bourbon!
- Ginger Beer – can use ginger ale. We like the stronger (and less sweet) kick of the ginger in the ginger beer.
- Simple Syrup – you can make this even more gingery by using Ginger Simple Syrup.
- Angostura Bitters – probably the most used bitters at our house – it’s a must for a Maple Old Fashioned.
- Lemon – try to buy organic especially if you are using the peel. If you buy a big bag of organic, like we do, be sure and make some Homemade Limoncello!
- Strawberries – we always try to buy organic. Whenever they are on sale, I buy them and freeze them, they make the Best Frozen Strawberry Daiquiri!
Measure 2 ounces of your whiskey.
Measure 1/2 ounce of simple syrup.
Measure 3/4 ounce of lemon juice.
Cut the strawberry in half.
Add lemon juice and strawberry to a cocktail shaker.
Muddle the strawberry with the lemon juice.
Add the whiskey and the simple syrup to the cocktail shaker.
Fill about 3/4 full of ice.
Shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
Strain into an ice filled rocks glass.
Top with the ginger beer.
Add to dashes of Angostura bitters and garnish with a lemon wheel and a strawberry half.
This was sooo good! Way too good to only have it as a Derby Day Cocktail. I can imagine sitting on the back porch sipping this all summer long. Though, we had it in the middle of winter and it was perfect! I just used some strawberries that I had frozen from last summer!
Kentucky Buck Cocktail
- 2 ounces whiskey or bourbon
- 3/4 ounce lemon juice fresh
- 1 strawberry halved
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- 3 ounces ginger beer chilled
- 2 dashes angostura bitters
- lemon wheel for garnish
- Muddle the lemon juice and half the strawberry in the cocktail shaker.
- Add the whiskey and simple syrup. Fill the shaker 3/4 full of ice.
- Shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
- Strain into an ice filled rocks glass.
- Top with ginger beer and two dashes of bitters.
- Garnish with the other half of the strawberry and a lemon wheel.