Easy Side Dish
If you are anything like me, you are always searching for an easy side dish. If I’ve put some time and effort into the main dish recipe, I want my side dish to be easy. Super easy.
But you can’t live on potatoes alone, though goodness knows I could definitely try – so I started thinking about some other options.
It had to be easy, it had to be something that I could make from mostly pantry ingredients, and it had to be tasty.
This Lemon and Thyme Chickpea Salad checks off all the easy side dish boxes!
- Chickpeas (garbanzo beans) – chickpeas score pretty low for pesticide residue, so you don’t have to buy organic, but try and find non GMO. I actually buy canned organic because they are readily available at the grocery store, even Walmart, for just a few cents more than the regular.
- Thyme – fresh if you have it, otherwise dry will work. If you have a bumper crop of thyme, be sure and read How to Dry Thyme!
- Bell Pepper – bell peppers are on the dirty dozen list, so try and buy organic. Sometimes I make this salad without the bell pepper, but it does add a fresh crunch to the salad.
- Garlic – no need to buy organic!
- White Wine Vinegar – or whatever vinegar you like to use, you could even use some Tarragon Vinegar or Hot Pepper Vinegar!
- Olive Oil – Extra virgin if possible.
- Lemon – you are only using the juice, so it doesn’t have to be organic. However, I buy organic and save the zest in the freezer for recipes that use lemon zest and to use in cocktails.
- Salt and Pepper – to taste (not pictured.)
If using canned chickpeas, rinse and drain them.
In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, minced garlic, thyme, and olive oil.
Dice the bell pepper.
Add the bell pepper and the chickpeas to the bowl with the dressing. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Stir to coat the beans and pepper with the dressing. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
How easy was that?! This garbanzo bean salad was so easy to make and so light and flavorful. It is perfect for picnics and potlucks and anytime you want an easy side dish.
Find even more easy sides in my Side Dish Recipes.
Lemon and Thyme Chickpea Salad
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tbsp vinegar white wine
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 15 1/2 ounce chickpeas canned, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 bell pepper red, orange or yellow, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, thyme, and olive oil in a medium bowl.
- Add the chickpeas and the bell pepper to the bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine and taste again to adjust the seasonings.
The post was originally published in 2009 and has been updated for 2020.