This easy simple formula will allow you to make any kind of Grain Salad! Like this Broccoli Quinoa Salad with Grapes and Toasted Pumpkin Seeds.
Post may contain affiliate links, full disclosure on sidebar.
Add Grains to Bump Up a Main Dish Salad
I love salads. Especially main dish salads. Dinner in a bowl. Easy peasy. When I have a main dish salad, it has to have something in it to make it a little more substantial. Sometimes it's meat or chicken or fish, but lately my favorite way to bump up my salads is with grains. I absolutely love grain salads. Love, love, love them. I spent time googling and reviewing my cookbooks and came up with a formula. A formula for a grain salad that you can tweak into and endless number of combinations.
How to Make a Grain Salad
It is composed of a grain, a veggie, greens, fruit, and nuts. So you could have a quinoa, broccoli salad with spinach, grapes and pumpkin seeds - like I have here. Or you could have a barley, carrot salad with kale, apples and sunflower seeds. See, how easy it is! For my dressing I use my standard juice of one lemon mixed with equal parts olive oil. But you could even vary that, substituting orange juice, or any type of vinegar for the acid. You could even change up the oil and use a nut oil, or sesame oil. The possibilities are endless!
I might have used too many explanation marks in that last paragraph, but honestly this is game changing. So many grain salad possibilities
Looking for more broccoli recipes:
Here's another broccoli salad that is extra yummy - Broccoli Salad with Bacon and Cranberries!
How about an easy one pan meal - Baked Rice with Sausage and Broccoli.
One of my favorite side salads this Honey Mustard Broccoli Salad will become your favorite too!
How to Make a Grain Salad | Broccoli Quinoa Salad
- 3 cups cooked grains I used quinoa
- 2 cups steamed or blanched vegetables cut bite size (I used broccoli)
- 3 cups chopped greens I used baby spinach
- 1 cup fruit cut bite-sized (I used seedless red grapes)
- ½ cup toasted nuts or seeds I used pumpkin seeds
- juice of one lemon
- equal parts olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl up to the lemon juice. In a small jar with a lid, combine the lemon juice with equal parts olive oil and shake to combine. Pour over the salad and toss, season with salt and pepper as desired.