The fresh flavors of summer in a wonderful grilled chicken dinner. Juicy grilled chicken is topped with a fresh watermelon and mango salsa. Sweet and spicy and so delicious!
Well, it’s June and that means it’s grilling season around here! We reorganized our back porch and I have a little grilling corner set up.
Nothing like what the fancy chefs have, but I have a gas grill and wood pellet smoker all within easy reach. So expect more smoking and grilling recipes coming soon!
Let’s start with this easy grilled chicken recipe that I first made in 2014. I found it in an old issue of Cooking Light and modified it a bit.
Chicken is marinated in a spicy olive oil and spice mixture. While it’s marinating whip up a delicious watermelon mango salsa. With cilantro, jalapeño pepper and lime juice, it adds so much flavor.
Chicken is grilled in about 10 minutes for an easy weeknight grilling recipe!
Ingredients and directions for marinating chicken.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts – can use boneless thighs.
- Garlic Cloves
- Olive Oil
- Fresh Oregano – can substitute 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- Chili Powder, Ground Cumin and Kosher Salt
Combine all of the marinade ingredients in a ziplock bag. Add the chicken and smoosh the bag around to coat the chicken. Refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
Expert Tip: Place the bag in a bowl, in case it leaks! No messes in your refrigerator!
Ingredients and directions for salsa.
- Red Onion – I use my quick pickled red onions for this.
- Cilantro – I try to buy organic, since tender leafed plants like this can be sprayed.
- Jalapeño Pepper – these are so easy to grow, I usually grow mine, but when I buy from the store, I try to buy organic if I can.
- Lime Juice – fresh squeezed, not bottled, so much more flavor.
- Mangoes – surprisingly and happily do not have to be organic! You can find good deals at the regular grocery store.
- Watermelon – another fruit that you don’t have to buy organic! So enjoy all those deals this summer!
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
Step by step grilling the chicken.
Preheat the grill to high and remove chicken from fridge.
Clean the grill grates (if you didn’t clean them after the last grilling.)
Oil the grates – I like to put a little oil on a paper towel and rub it on the grates.
Place the chicken on the grill.
Grill chicken on one side for 5 minutes and then flip.
Depending on the size of your breasts, start checking the temperature at the 3 minutes. You want 160 to 165 degrees.
Remove from the grill, let rest for 5 minutes (covered with foil) and serve with salsa.
This was so good and so full of flavor! We made enough for two nights in a row and on the third day my husband asked if we could have it again!
The salsa is super yummy too and would be great on pork or fish or even as a side dish!
What to serve with grilled chicken:
More grilled chicken recipes:
**As an Amazon affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Grilled Chicken with Mango Watermelon Salsa
- Put the first six ingredients in a ziploc bag and squish around to combine. Add the chicken breasts and toss them around to make sure they are even coated with the marinade. Refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
- Preheat grill to high. Spray grill rack with a little cooking spray or mop with oil (whatever method you use to help foods not stick to your grill). Grill breasts about 5 minutes on each side or until cooked thoroughly. Start testing on second side after about 3 minutes. Grill to 160-165.
- Remove chicken from grill and let rest (covered with foil) for 5-10 minutes.
- Combine the watermelon, mango, onion, cilantro, pepper, lime juice, sugar and salt in a bowl. Toss to make sure it is well combined (this can be done a day ahead of time).
- Serve chicken topped with salsa.
This was originally published in 2014 and has been updated for 2020.