Tired of the same old chicken noodle soup? Try this Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken Noodle Soup, a delicious take on a classic soup! Noodles cook in the pot too!
Slow Cooker and Crockpot Soups!
I don't know about you, but one of my favorite ways to use my slow cooker is for soups. There is something about coming home and having the house smell divine. Or even if you work from home like me, smelling it all day, just ups the anticipation.
Slow cooking all day allows all the flavors to meld together and provide the most amazing flavor!
I think you all agree because the most popular posts on blog are slow cooker posts, like this Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup.
- Chicken - my favorite chicken for soups are bone in legs and thighs. The bones add so much flavor and depth and the dark meat stays extra juicy.
- Jalapeño pepper - I used one, sliced. You can remove the seeds if you like it less spicy or add more peppers if you want it more spicy!
- Chicken Broth - I used my Homemade Instant Pot Chicken Broth, but you can use the kind in a carton.
- Noodles - I used whatever I had in the pantry, this is a great recipe for using up odds and ends of pasta.
- Canned tomatoes - Can also use fresh.
Step by Step Instructions
Begin by prepping the vegetables. Since this is soup, you want to have your vegetables be slightly smaller than bite sized so that you can fit a few on your spoon when taking a bite. I use about a 1/2 inch dice.
Dice the carrot, celery and onion. Mince the garlic. Slice the jalapeño (seed if desired.)
Add the vegetables, chicken, dried spices, broth, canned tomatoes (and their juice) salt and pepper to the slow cooker.
Cook on low for 8 hours.
Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and let it sit until cool enough to handle. Then shred it and add it back to the slow cooker.
Turn the cooker to high. Break the noodles and add them to the slow cooker along with the lime juice. Cook for about 30 minutes
When the noodles are done, taste and adjust the seasonings.
Serve with your favorite toppings.
This is so good and so easy! I love that you can cook the noodles right in the crockpot, no need to dirty another pan!
The fun part is giving everyone the option of choosing their toppings. I like to leave out several choices like: avocado, cilantro, lime wedges, jalapeño slices, sour cream, and Mexican crumbling cheese.
More Slow Cooker Soup Recipe
**As an Amazon affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Mexican Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 white onion chopped
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1 cup carrot chopped
- 6 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 4 chicken thighs
- 4 chicken legs
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 14 ounce cans of roasted tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup vermicelli noodles / or angel hair pasta broken in small pieces
- 1 jalapeno pepper (remove seeds) and mince
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup cilantro roughly chopped
- 2 limes juiced
- Combine all the ingredients except the cilantro, pasta, and the lime juice into a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low about 8 hours. Remove the chicken from the soup and let it cool. When cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the bone and shred it back into the soup. Turn the temperature to high and add the broken angle hair pasta and stir in the lime juice. Finish cooking for about 30 minutes or until the pasta is tender.
- Serve in bowls topped with the fresh cilantro and lime wedges.
- Serves 6-8
This post was originally published in 2014 and has been updated for 2020.