A classic whiskey sour becomes a New York Sour with a float of red wine! The combination of the red wine with the whiskey is amazing. It adds a fruitiness and richness to the sour! Whiskey, red wine, lemon juice and simple syrup are all you need to make this classic whiskey cocktail!
Classic Sour Cocktails
Last week, I posted a New England Sour and talked about sour cocktails in general. For the purposes of keeping it simple, a sour cocktail is usually made up of a liquor, a sour and a sweet.
With those three components, there is plenty of room for creativity and interpretation. In last week's New England Sour Cocktail - the liquor was vodka, the sour was grapefruit juice and the sweet was maple syrup!
Today, I am back with a New York Sour Cocktail. I have always thought it was a very pretty cocktail, but thought that the combination of red wine with whiskey sounded strange.
It's not. It's delicious!
This cocktail takes the classic whiskey sour and adds a pretty red wine float on the top!
Ingredients to Make this Classic Whiskey Cocktail
- Rye Whiskey - you can use rye whiskey or bourbon.
- Simple Syrup - we make a batch and keep it in the fridge. It is just equal parts water and sugar heated over medium low heat and stirred until the sugar dissolves. It will keep in the fridge for about a month.
- Lemon - fresh squeezed lemon juice! Save a slice for garnish.
- Red Wine - we had some boxed Cabernet Sauvignon that we had bought for the holidays, so it was perfect.
How to Make a New York Sour
Pour two ounces of rye whiskey (or bourbon) into cocktail shaker.
Add 1 ounce of fresh squeezed lemon juice to the shaker.
Add ½ ounce of simple syrup to the cocktail shaker.
Measure out ½ ounce of red wine for float, but don't add it to the cocktail shaker.
Fill a rocks glass with ice. Since we wanted the wine to easily float, we used crush ice, you can use regular ice also.
Add ice to the cocktail shaker and shake for about 30 seconds. Strain into cocktail glass over the crushed ice.
To float the wine, pour it slowly over the back of a spoon.
Garnish with a lemon slice and a maraschino cherry (I use my homemade cocktail cherries.)
This is so good! I mentioned above that I had always thought the cocktail was pretty, but that I thought the red wine sounded strange with the whiskey. It's not strange at all, it's delicious!
The red wine adds a fruity depth to the whiskey sour. Try it, it might become your favorite whiskey sour!
More Delicious Whiskey Sour Cocktails
If you make this I would love it if you would leave a star rating!
New York Sour Cocktail
- 2 ounces rye whiskey or bourbon
- 1 ounce lemon juice fresh squeezed
- ½ ounce simple syrup
- ½ ounce red wine to float
- lemon wheel for garnish
- Maraschino cherry for garnish
- Add whiskey, lemon juice and simple syrup to cocktail shaker.
- Add ice to shaker (about ¾ full) and shake for 30 seconds.
- Strain into an ice filled rocks glass.
- Slowly pour the red wine over the back of a spoon on top of the cocktail, so that it floats.
- Garnish with a lemon slice and maraschino cherry.