This easy Parmesan Rice is going to become your go to side dish! Buttery, creamy and cheesy this easy side dish goes with everything!
A couple months ago, I realized that I wasn't posting many side dish recipes. I thought I should only post the main dish, the star of the show.
How wrong I've been. Like this creamy, cheesy, buttery (I could go on an on) Parmesan rice. We have this all the time and I've never shared the recipe!
Yes, it's crazy simple. Which is one of the reasons you need to make it .... that and have I mentioned that it's creamy, cheesy and buttery?!
Ingredients for this Easy White Rice Side Dish
- Chicken Broth - I use homemade, you can use store bought, but try to find low sodium. Parmesan can be salty, so you want to be able to season as you need to.
- Garlic - use as much as you'd like, I usually use one or two cloves.
- Shallot - can also use finely minced white onion - I like the milder flavor of shallots.
- Rice - regular white rice (note, I had some red rice mixed in with my white because I was combining some jars in my pantry.)
- Parmesan Cheese - can also use Pecorino.
- Butter - unsalted preferred.
How to Make Parmesan Rice
Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter (saving one tablespoon for finishing the rice) in a saucepan over medium high heat. Add the shallots and the garlic and cook until the shallots are softened for about 2 minutes.
Add the rice to the pan and stir to coat it in the butter. Then pour in the broth and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and cover the pot. Reduce the heat to low to simmer the rice for 20 minutes.
Uncover the rice and stir in the remaining butter and the parmesan cheese. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
The Best Buttery Rice!
We love this side dish! It goes with everything! We love it with pork chops and roasted chicken. It reheats well. I've even eaten for lunch.
More Easy Side Dish Recipes:
Another favorite rice side dish is this Curried Mango Rice, so much flavor and so easy to make!
No need to fry when you can make this garlicky fries in the oven!
If you have some leftover Parmesan cheese be sure and make these 20 minute cheesy tomatoes!
Creamy Parmesan Rice
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup shallots (or onion) finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic finely minced
- 1 cup rice
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth preferably low sodium
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in a saucepan over medium high heat and add the shallots and garlic. Cook until softened about 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir to coat with the butter. Add the broth and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil and cover. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining butter and the Parmesan cheese. Taste and adjust the seasonings.