This Roasted Asparagus and Prosciutto Bowl is a delicious grain bowl! Crisp prosciutto and tender asparagus over farro are topped with a poached egg for this light and so flavorful meal! Runny egg yolks win every time!
What's your favorite thing about spring? Mine is asparagus! When those first tender stalks start appearing at the grocery store and farmer's market, I grab them up.
It's so sad to think that I grew up hating asparagus. But it's no wonder, the only asparagus I ever had was from a can!
Now, I can't get enough of fresh asparagus. I especially love the slender stalks, so slender they almost don't even need cooking.
When you go grocery shopping, by enough asparagus to make this grain bowl and this Roasted Cod with Asparagus and Jalapeño Dressing, it is so good!
If you can only find the thicker stalked asparagus, you can still try the other two recipes, but this Quick Pickled Asparagus makes the most amazing pickles!
Roasted Asparagus Grain Bowl
When I came home from the grocery store with my tender spears of asparagus, I wanted to showcase them in an easy one bowl meal.; We are big on grains around here.
For this bowl, I used organic farro because I like it's chewy texture. You can use your favorite grain - brown rice, spelt, bulgur, even quinoa would work. To cook grains, I always refer to Whole Grains Every Day by Lorna Sass. It's my go to book when cooking grains.
I chose prosciutto because it has such a natural affinity with asparagus. Bacon or pancetta would also work.
The grain bowl was topped with a poached egg, because everything is better with an egg on it! When the yolk is broken it mixes with the lemon juice to make a delicious dressing for the bowl.
Looking for More Healthy Grain Recipes
Don't forget you can sign up to receive an email when a new post goes live! The best part is you can check to receive all updates or just your favorite parts of the blog! Maybe you only like recipes or just want to see my adorable cats, I've got you covered!
Roasted Asparagus and Prosciutto Farro Bowls
- 4 cups asparagus tough ends trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 ounces prosciutto diced
- 2 cups dry farro or 4-5 cups, cooked
- 4 eggs
- 1 lemon
- olive oil
- To cook farro. Bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a kettle. Heat a heavy saucepan over medium heat, add the farro and toast it slightly, stirring until there is a toasty aroma. Turn off the heat, stand back and gradually add the water (it will bubble and foam up). Add ¼ teaspoon salt. Return it to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer until tender 20-30 minutes. Turn off the heat and let it rest for 10 minutes. Drain off any excess water and fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400. Place asparagus and prosciutto on baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Roast for 7-10 minutes.
- To make poached eggs. Heat 1 ½ inches of water in a small non-stick skillet to boiling. Lower heat until the water barely bubbles. Break the eggs one at a time into a shallow bowl and ease them into the water one at a time. Spoon water over the top, cook 3 - 5 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon, draining off water. You can place on a paper towel to pat dry if you'd like, I usually don't bother.
- Divide farro among four serving bowls. Tops with asparagus and prosciutto. Squeeze a wedge of lemon juice over the top. Place poached egg on top and sprinkle with salt and a generous grind of fresh black pepper.
Note this was originally published in 2015 and has been updated for 2019.