Beet Hummus makes a delicious and healthy snack! Great for tailgating or anytime you want to serve a delicious dip! Gorgeous color and so easy to make!
I had some beets languishing in my crisper drawer and I couldn't decide what to make with them. I could make my Strawberry Beet Smoothie Pops or my Superfood Salad with Beets and Blood Oranges again. They were both delicious and worthy of repeat.
However, with football season starting up, I was also looking for some healthy snacks. Something that we could munch on while we watched football, but still feel good about eating. We love Homemade Hummus, but I wanted to change it up a bit and a Roasted Beet Hummus sounded like just the thing!
Ingredients in Beet Hummus:
To make beet hummus, you only need 5 ingredients!
- Beets - you can use red or golden beets.
- Lemon Juice - fresh squeezed. We go through so much lemon juice that we squeeze a bunch at the beginning of the week and store it in a bottle in the fridge. It's great for salad dressings and cocktails!
- Tahini - a sesame paste. I found this squeezable tahini from Whole Foods and I love it!
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
How to Make Beet Hummus:
This is so easy to make! You just roast some beets in foil for about an hour. You could also drizzle them with some balsamic vinegar before roasting for a little added flavor. When they are cool enough to handle peel them (the skins should slip right off) and cut them into quarters.
Place the beets, salt, lemon juice, tahini and olive oil in a food processor and process until smooth!
Taste and adjust the seasonings!
This Beet Hummus is so good!
Now, I know it's not a true hummus, there is nary a chickpea in site, but it can easily sub for hummus in your favorite way to eat hummus. It also got me thinking of all the variations.
You do something similar with carrots, sweet potatoes, or even some of the winter squashes and pumpkins. This was so easy and delicious and you can't ignore that gorgeous color!
You could also add a clove of garlic and some cumin, if you'd like.
This would be so good served with these Homemade Spicy Pita Chips.
For even more snack recipes be sure and follow my Snacks and Appetizer Board on Pinterest.
Roasted Beet Hummus
- 1 pound beets tops and tail trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400. Wrap the beets up in aluminum foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour or until tender. Remove from the oven and let them cool. When they are cool enough to handle, peel them and cut them into quarters.
- Add the beets, salt, lemon juice, and tahini into a food processor. Process until smooth (you might need to pause to scrape down the sides.) Add the olive oil and process again until combined.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days, or freeze.