One of my favorite Cauliflower Recipes, this Roasted Cauliflower Risotto with Sage and Almonds is so creamy and delicious! It gets extra flavor from the roasting of the cauliflower!
Post contains affiliate links, full disclosure on sidebar.
When is Cauliflower in Season?
Last July my CSA gave me a big head of cauliflower. I don't know about you, but I typically associate cauliflower with fall. Well after doing some research, it's clear that no one really has a handle on the Cauliflower growing season! For Tennessee, one site said July-November and another said October-December.
I looked up California and it is basically in season year round, which probably explains why you can pretty much find it at your grocery store no mater what time of the year it is.
Cauliflower Risotto with Sage and Almonds
The secret to this risotto is roasting the cauliflower, almonds and sage! All you do is roast the cauliflower on a rimmed baking sheet, then towards the end add the almonds and sage.
While the cauliflower is roasting, you can begin heating up the stock in a medium saucepan. In a large saucepan, you begin cooking the onion, sage and rice. You gradually stir in the stock, until the stock is absorbed and the rice is cooked to your liking. Stir in parmesan cheese.
Ladle into serving bowls and top with cheese and cauliflower mixture.
I found this recipe in an old 2009 issue of Donna Hay magazine. It's been a family favorite for that long!
You can easily make it vegan or vegetarian by substituting vegetable broth for the chicken broth. It makes a great vegetarian Thanksgiving main dish!
Roasted Cauliflower, Sage and Almond Risotto
- 1 head cauliflower trimmed and chopped (I just used one medium size head)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 bunch of sage leaves picked
- 6 1/2 cups of chicken stock or vegetable stock (vegan)
- 3 tablespoons butter about 3 tablespoons
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan
- 1 cup Taleggio or other strongly flavored cheese sliced (I omitted)
- Preheat oven to 425. Toss cauliflower, oil, salt and pepper on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes, add the almonds and half of the sage. Roast for 5-8 more minutes or until golden and crisp. Set aside and keep warm.
- Place the chicken stock in a medium saucepan and heat to a simmer. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft (about 5 minutes). Chop the rest of the sage, and add it with the rice and sherry to the pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until sherry is absorbed. Gradually add the stock, 1 cup at a time, stirring, for 25-30 minutes, or until the stock is absorbed and the rice is al dente. Stir through the parmesan cheese and spoon into serving bowls. Top with Taleggio and the cauliflower mixture.
Looking for more cauliflower recipes: