Whether you call this a tray bake salmon or a sheet pan salmon, you definitely need to call it dinner tonight! Juicy salmon, crisp potatoes, and golden mushrooms all roast together in one pan. For serving they are drizzled with a tangy red wine vinaigrette that just pulls it all together!
Easy One Pan Salmon Dinner
When it comes to dinner, I am all about easy. I admit it, I am not one of those cooks who likes to putter around the kitchen doing recipes with multiple steps and fussy this and fussy that.
If I can put all of dinner in one pan and have it taste amazing, that is a total win on all fronts for me.
Like this one pan roasted salmon dinner.
What I love about this besides the fact that it's a tray bake salmon, super simple and tastes amazing is that it pairs salmon with mushrooms and potatoes. While I love salmon paired with all sorts of veggies, I really love the earthiness of the potatoes and mushrooms.
It makes the salmon feel a little more substantial. We are all about feeling more substantial around here.
Ingredients for Roasted Salmon with Potatoes and Mushrooms
- Mushrooms - you can use whatever mushrooms you like. There is no need to get super fancy here, white button mushrooms work great.
- Salmon - we like to use wild caught if we can get it.
- Honey - local honey to support your local beekeepers if you can find it.
- Red Wine Vinegar - sherry vinegar or apple cider vinegar would also work.
- Mustard - you want a flavorful whole grain mustard or a Dijon mustard.
- Parsley - fresh.
- Potatoes - my favorite potato for this is a Yukon Gold. You can use russet or red potatoes if that's what you have.
- Olive oil - since this is being used in the vinaigrette, I like to use a better quality olive oil with a fruity flavor. You can use a less expensive olive oil for the roasting of the veggies, if you'd like.
How to Make this Tray Baked Salmon
This recipe is so easy, you are going to love it!
Preheat the oven to 400.
While the oven is preheating, cut the mushrooms in half or quartered if they are big. Wash and dice the potatoes, you can peel them if you'd like.
Place the mushrooms and potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet (I like to brush the baking sheet with olive oil first or use a spray.) Toss them with 1 tablespoon of the oil and salt and pepper. Roast the for 20 minutes.
While the potatoes and mushrooms are roasting, bring the salmon out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature (about 15 minutes.) Season the salmon with salt and pepper.
Bring the baking sheet out of the oven and move the vegetables aside to make room for the salmon filets. Roast for an additional 12-15 minutes.
While the salmon is roasting, in a small bowl whisk together the rest of the olive oil, the red wine vinegar, the mustard, the honey and the parsley.
Serve the salmon, potatoes and mushrooms with the vinaigrette drizzled over the top.
People, this is so good.
I like to try and take a technique away from a recipe whenever I can. I know I’ve written before about learning to roast an orange, lemon, or lime along with your chicken and veggies and then squeezing it over the top for a quick finish.
The idea here is that a simple vinaigrette drizzled over right before serving totally finishes this dish. It was lovely. The combination of the grainy mustard and the sweet honey complimented the salmon and the veggies perfectly.
The vinaigrette is a classic and works well on all sorts of roasted dishes and salads. I found this recipe many, many years ago from Real Simple and make it at least once a month.
You can vary the vegetables - use what's in season and easily make easy salmon dinner year round!
More Easy Salmon Recipes
This easy one pan salmon dinner features steamed salmon resting on top of a lemongrass pilaf!
This Salmon with Citrus Vinaigrette is another easy sheet pan dinner that has an amazing vinaigrette!
Salmon and cauliflower roast together in this Lemon Salmon and Spicy Cauliflower tray bake!
Sheet Pan Salmon with Potatoes and Mushrooms
Salmon with Potatoes and Mushrooms
- 1 pound potatoes washed and cut into 1 inch dice.
- 8 ounces button mushrooms cleaned and cut in half
- 4 salmon filets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Brush or spray a baking sheet with oil.
- Place the mushrooms and potatoes on the sheet and roast for 20 minutes.
- While the vegetables are roasting, bring the salmon out of the fridge about 15 minutes before the vegetables are ready to be pulled out. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Remove the tray from the oven and make room for the salmon filets. Roast with the vegetables for 12-15 minutes.
- While the salmon is roasting, combine all the vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together or place in a mason jar and shake.
- Serve the salmon and vegetables with a drizzle of the vinaigrette.
The was originally published in 2010 and has been updated for 2019.