You're going to love every bite of this rich and creamy chicken and mushroom pasta!
You simply brown some chicken breasts, then sauté some mushrooms and onions and create a quick pan sauce. Stir in cooked pasta and you have pure comfort food!
This is the easy weeknight pasta recipe that we are all craving right now!
I am so ready for fall. The temperature has dropped this week and I don't think I could face another salad.
Comfort food is what I want and this easy skillet chicken pasta recipe is pure comfort!
It's rich and creamy, with tender chicken, perfectly sautéed mushrooms and onions and a pan sauce that will have you licking your plate!
Boneless skinless chicken breasts - you could also use boneless skinless chicken thighs or chicken tenders.
Mushrooms - white button are fine, though you could go fancy with cremini or even a blend of mixed mushrooms.
Sherry - if you are serving this to kids and you don't want to use sherry, just use extra chicken stock.
Cream cheese - this was originally a Cooking Light recipe and they called for reduced fat cream cheese, I used full fat.
Onion - white or red.
Chicken broth - homemade is great, but canned will do.
Pasta - I used linguini - any dried pasta will work.
Butter and olive oil.
Parsley - optional for garnish.
Start your water boiling for pasta, you will be cooking it while you make the sauce. When the water is ready, cook it following the directions and drain.
Cut chicken into thin strips and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat a skillet over medium high heat and add butter and oil. When it's hot, add the chicken and sauté for about 5-7 minutes, turning when one side gets browned.
While the chicken is browning, slice the onions and mushrooms.
When the chicken is cooked through, remove it from the pan and place it in a bowl.
Add the onions and mushrooms to the pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper and sauté for about 3 minutes or until the onions are softened and the mushrooms are browning.
When they are done to your liking (and really it's a matter of preference, I like a little bite to my onions, you may like yours softer) remove them and place in the bowl with the chicken.
Add the sherry to the pan and scrape up any brown bits, letting it reduce a bit - for about 2 minutes.
Stir in the broth and pinch off the cheese into small bits. Simmer for about 3 minutes.
I am aware that my cheese didn't fully incorporate. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. If I whisk it in slowly, it works better. If I microwave it first with a little of the liquid and then add it, it works better.
However, I have discovered that nobody cares! Once you add the pasta, chicken and mushrooms, no one cares that your sauce didn't come together exactly as you planned.
I make this often enough that I can get new pics when the sauce does come together, but honestly if you are just a home cook like me, why worry over it?!
Add the chicken, mushrooms and onion back to the pan.
Add the cooked pasta and toss to coat. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
Serve garnished with minced parsley if you'd like.
This was so good. It was quick and easy, perfect for a weeknight.
It kind of had a tetrazzini/stroganoff kind of vibe going on.
You could easily make this recipe your own - add garlic or peppers. Add some fresh grated Parmesan cheese.
More comfort food recipes:
**As an Amazon affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Creamy Chicken Mushroom Pasta
- 8 ounces linguini dried
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into thin slices
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 ounces button mushrooms sliced
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- ½ cup dry sherry can use chicken broth
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup cream cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- flat-leaf parsley optional, for garnish
- Heat pasta water and cook according to directions, while the sauce is being prepared.
- Melt butter and olive oil over medium high heat.
- Salt and pepper the chicken and add it to skillet. Brown well on one side, then turn for a total of about 7 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove and place in a bowl.
- Add onions and mushroom and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until onions are tender and mushrooms are starting to brown - about 3 minutes. Remove from the pan and add to the bowl with the chicken.
- Pour the sherry in the pan and scrape up any brown bits. Pinch the cream cheese into small pieces and add it and the broth to the skillet. Simmer for about 3 minutes, breaking up the cream cheese. It will not completely melt.
- Add the chicken mixture and the pasta to the skillet. Toss to coat, taste and add salt and pepper if needed. Optionally garnish with parsley.
This was originally published in 2011 and has been updated for 2020.