This Slow Cooker Chicken and Stout Stew is so rich and delicious with earthy mushrooms, sweet carrots and tasty stout beer.
I’ve made this slow cooker chicken stew before and loved it. I did note though that the next time, I should serve it with polenta, rice or noodles – something to soak up all that delicious broth. This time, I served it over polenta. Excellent. This is comfort food at it’s finest.
I found this recipe at Eating Well. They call it Slow Cooker Stout and Chicken Stew. Personally I like the chicken to be front and center, so I switched it around. I am the first to admit that I don’t always follow those little extra beginning steps on slow cooker recipes. The ones where you brown or roast or do something before you place the ingredients in the slow cooker. However, on this recipe I do.
The chicken is dredged in flour and browned. Then bacon is added to the skillet and more flour. After that, you pour in the stout and scrape up all the browned bits. I think all of those steps add some crazy good flavor, plus the flour helps thicken the rich broth. This recipe is such a winner. It was fabulous the first night and even better as leftovers.
- 6 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 pieces bacon, chopped
- 1 2/3 cups Guinness beer or other stout (14-ounce can)
- 1 pound whole baby carrots or large carrots cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 8-ounce package cremini or button mushrooms, halved if large
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen baby peas, thawed
- Combine the flour with a 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Dredge the chicken thighs and set aside on a platter.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the chicken thighs and brown about 4-5 minutes per side. Place in slow cooker. Turn the heat down to medium, add 2 more teaspoons of oil and brown the rest of the thighs in the same manner and add to slow cooker.
- Add the bacon to the pan and cook stirring often. Add the rest of the flour (1/2 cup) to the pan and stir for 2 more minutes. Pour in the stout and use a wooden spoon to scrape up the brown bits. Pour this over the chicken. Add the carrots, mushrooms, onion, garlic and thyme and spread over the top of the chicken. Pour over the chicken broth.
- Cover and cook for 7-8 hours on low. About 10-15 minutes before serving, stir in the peas. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper.
- Serve over polenta, rice or noodles.